Hey there and welcome to our post on all things art in Denver. Galleries, museums, supplies, schools, shows, events and more will all be discussed in depth on this page.
We will get the ball rolling by diving straight into the best Denver Art Galleries and Museums where you can see some of the finest exhibitions and collections the city has to offer. After that you will learn about all of the best art supply stores near you.
Events and shows that are held annually or more frequently will be the topic of our next section. Art walking tours and sculptures around town can be a great way to get some sun and culture at the same time.
Denver art classes and lessons will definitely get a shout out and there are classes for both kids and adults that are available. Some of you may want to skip the lessons and be ready to start your next project right now so art studios for rent in your area will get a mention.
Then we will end this all by mentioning the best shops for framing around town. Be sure to check out our local art map at the end that has all the spots we discuss pinned on it.
And the curious types can feel free to check out our other posts on the Midwest at that link.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Denver
In our opinion the best art galleries and museums in Denver would be:
- American Museum of Western Art at 1727 Tremknt Pl
- Clyfford Still Museum at 1250 Bannock St
- Denver Art Museum at 100 W 14th Ave Pkwy
- Museum of Contemporary Art at 1485 Delgany St
- Weilworks at 3611 Chestnut Pl
- Abend Gallery at 1412 Wazee St
- Robischon Gallery at 1740 Wazee St
- William Havu Gallery at 1040 Cherokee St
- Visions West Contemporary at 2605 Walnut St
- Marie Vaughn Gallery at 2184 S Ensenada St, Aurora
- Pirate Contemporary Art at 7130 W 16th Ave, Lakewood
- Edge Gallery at 6851 W Colfax, Lakewood
The Anschutz Collection’s permanent home can be found at the American Museum of Western Art which displays over 600 works of art by more than 180 artists. The Clyfford Still Museum was created specifically to house Clyfford Still’s art.
They host indoor and outdoor performances, hands-on art workshops, informative talks by local and international experts, thought-provoking films, and more. The museum’s collection includes nearly 830 paintings along with over 2,300 works on paper and sculptures. Admission is free for those aged 17 and under.
With over 70,000 works of art in its collection the Denver Art Museum is one of the largest art museums between Chicago and the West Coast. The DAM offers free general entry most days of the year and admission is free to all youths aged 18 and under every day. They provide a variety of workshops and talks plus drop-in drawing and writing programs for adults and hands-on art-making opportunities for children.
Every week the Museum of Contemporary Art hosts small activities like artist talks and live music. They have special services for teenagers through the years, and admission for teens is always free.
They also have their Octopus Initiative programs that allow any Denver metro area resident to borrow and live with a piece of art created by a Denver-based artist for free for ten months. The Abend Gallery provides free in-home or office consultations on distribution and installation of fine original art.
They also have a large collection of fine art by local, national, and international artists. With over 40 years of experience William Havu Gallery also provides quality framing services.
Materials & Supplies Near You
The best local stores to buy art supplies and materials near you are:
- HR Meininger Company at 499 Broadway
- Guiry’s at 2245 Market St
- ReCreative at 765 Santa Fe Dr
- Rocky Mountain Clay at 1220 W 1st Ave
- D&L Art Glass Supply at 1440 W 52nd Ave
- Michaels at 2780 S Colorado Blvd
- Michaels at 80 S Abilene St, Aurora
- Red Herring Art & Supply at 6719 W Colfax Ave, Lakewood
HR Meininger Company has been in business for over a century and has grown to become one of the largest Art Material stores west of the Mississippi. Over 80,000 fine art, sculpture, design, and architectural materials are available.
Guiry’s provides free in-store design consultations as well as in-home consultations. ReCreative Denver sells recycled art supplies, crafts, and also hosts in-store art recycling workshops. They even rent out an art studio.
Rocky Mountain Clay offers sculpting materials, high-quality clay, and pottery. D&L Art Glass Supply sells wholesale supplies to the craft, art glass, and jewelry industries.
You probably already know what the Michaels near you have to offer.
Shows & Events
Some of the best art shows and events held in your area are:
- Denver Arts Festival in September
- Cheesman Park Art Fest in October
- Denver Fine Art Fair in October
- Denver Arts Week in November
The Denver Arts Festival is a fine art and crafts festival that features the best artists from Colorado and around the world with over 50,000 people attending each year. The festival is free and takes place in September at the Conservatory Green Plaza area of Northfield in Central Park.
Denver Fine Art Fair takes place in October at the National Western Complex and features an exclusive roster of 60+ galleries from around the Americas and Europe. The fair features one of the most diverse, high-end selections of art genres and periods ever assembled under one roof in the country.
The Cheesman Park Art Fest is held in October on the park’s south side. More than 125 artists and craftspeople from around the country will exhibit their work, and a diverse roster of local musicians will also perform throughout the day.
Every November Denver Arts Week hosts over 300 activities at museums, galleries, and cultural organizations in the metro region. You also have the The First Friday Art Walks on the First Friday of each month that we are going to discuss further in the walks section.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
When you are ready to find a new piece for your collection or when you want to know how much a piece is worth you can go to art dealers and appraisers near you like:
- Artwork Network at 767 Santa Fe Dr
- David Cook Fine Art at 1637 Wazee St
- Gallery M at 180 Cook St Ste 101
- American Design Ltd at 70 S Potomac St, Aurora
Gallery M provides a wide range of services including auction representation, appraisal, collection management, custom framing, and more. Abend Gallery, which is mentioned in the main list above, also sells paintings.
What is better than walking around outside on a beautiful day and seeing some cool local art:
- Rino Art District at 3525 Walnut St
- Denver Graffiti Tour at 2314 N Broadway
- First Friday Art Walk at Santa Fe Dr
- Denver Free Walking Tours at 200 E Colfax Ave
- 40 West Arts District at 1560 Teller St, Lakewood
The Rino Art District is a distinct region of the northern area of town that is rich in arts, artists’ studios, and art galleries. Denver Graffiti Tour will take you on a 2-hour walking tour of the city’s best street art ending at the Central Market. Personalized times and private tours are available.
The First Friday Art Walks are the main event of Denver’s Art District in Santa Fe that take place year-round, rain or shine, on the first Friday of every month from 5:30-9:30 p.m.
The free Denver Free Walking Tours will take you winding through the heart of downtown visiting the top sights and public arts in your area. The 40 West Arts District is an artistic district along Lakewood’s historic West Colfax Avenue that is a four-mile walking and biking arts experience linking three parks and featuring over 70 works of public art in your area.
Sculptures & Statues
There are some really nice sculptures and statues near you like:
- Big Blue Bear at 700-776 14th St
- The Dancers at 1185-1245 Champa St
- Infinite Energy at 1385 Curtis St
- Thatcher Fountain at 2001 Colorado Blvd
- The Yearling at 32 W 14th Ave
- Public Art Aurora Akimbo at E Alameda Ave
Lawrence Argent created the Big Blue Bear whichhas been outside the Colorado Convention Center since 2005. Jonathan Borofsky created the Dancers, two 50-foot-high sculptures located near the Denver Performing Arts Complex.
Victor M. Contreras’ bronze sculpture Infinite Energy was made in 1980 and restored in 2005. It is located near the Boettcher Concert Hall and the Helen Bonfils Theatre Complex, under the glass archway of the Denver Performing Arts Complex Galleria.
Thatcher Fountain is located in City Park and was designed by sculptor Lorado Taft in 1918. Donald Lipski designed the Yearling, a 21-foot-tall and ten-foot-wide steel chair that was installed at the Public Library in the late 1990’s.
David Griggs created the public artwork Aurora Akimbo that was put up in Expo Park in Aurora in 2008.
Denver Art Classes
At the best Denver art schools you can usually take private lessons or group classes for kids, teens, and adults:
- Real Academy of Art at 2055 S Oneida St #120
- Art Students League of Denver at 200 Grant St
- Flux Studio And Gallery at 377 S Lipan St
- Arts Street at 1079 Osage St
- Neighborhood Art Studio at 4890 Ironton St #6A
- Downtown Aurora Visual Arts (DAVA) at 1405-1419 Florence St, Aurora
- The Red Paint Brush at 2049 Wadsworth Blvd St #K, Lakewood
- Rocky Mountain College of Art & Design at 1600 Pierce St, Lakewood
Real Academy of Art is a good place to take full time or part time art lessons. They use methods influenced by Renaissance and nineteenth-century masters for both inexperienced and seasoned artists.
Art Students League of Denver offers classes and activities for people of all ages and skill levels, along with summer camps and workshops. They also provide night courses, drawing or painting a live model, and open studio programs. Eligible students can also apply for one of their scholarships.
Workshops, pottery lessons, and special events are available at Flux Studio and Gallery who also does personalized private and group lessons. Neighborhood Art Studio teaches art to children while also doing seminars, parties, art camps, after-school art classes, and night classes.
Downtown Aurora Visual Arts (DAVA) provides art for children and young people. They have a variety of services, including career training in the arts for ages 11-14, open studio programs, and a Family Arts program for children ages 3-6 with a parent or guardian. Classes are free and open to the public on a drop-in basis.
If you want to improve your skills in fine art, digital art, and photography you can take the classes at Rocky Mountain College of Art & Design which offers ten programs to choose from. Denver Art Museum and Marie Vaughn Gallery from the best galleries near you list also offer art classes.
Studios For Rent Near You
You might be able to rent a local art studio at:
- Globeville Riverfront Arts Center at 888 E 50th Ave
- Art Gym Denver at 1460 Leyden St
- Prism Workspaces at 999 Vallejo St
- Studios on Blake at 3040 Blake St Suite 150
- 910Arts at 910 Santa Fe Dr
ReCreative Denver from the art supply list also has an art studio for rent.
For the best picture and art framing in town head to:
- Cherry Creek Framing at 2830 E 3rd Ave
- The Corner Custom Framing at 3275 W 32nd Ave
- 5280 Custom Framing at 1528 15th St
- The Great Frame Up at 1017 E 9th Ave
- Aum Framing and Gallery at 2227 E Colfax Ave
- Aaron Brothers at 6352 S Central St #A, Aurora
- Belmar Frame & Art at 7111 W Alameda Ave, Lakewood
- Mission Trace Framing & Gallery at 3214 S Wadsworth Blvd, Lakewood
Cherry Creek Framing can frame everything from vintage art to college diplomas. They also make custom-made mirrors.
5280 Custom Framing displays over 2,000 frame samples and thousands of acid-free mat board samples. They can also stretch canvas and move your favorite photographs, posters, or prints to canvas.
With over 5,000 pieces, Aum Framing and Gallery has the largest and most diverse collection of moldings in the city. They can also patch and rebuild frames.
Belmar Frame & Art can handle everything from restorations to painting cleaning and consultations. There are over 3,500 frames to choose from at Mission Trace Framing & Gallery, and they provide free design consultation.
You can also get quality framing done at other places we have mentioned throughout the post like William Havu Gallery and Gallery M.
We have also written about how to:
- Find Art Near You in Boulder
- Find Art Near You in Colorado Springs
- Find Art Near You in Vail, Aspen & Breckenridge
- Find Art Near You in Salt Lake City
Have Fun Enjoying The Denver Art Scene
For the time being that is all we have to share about the full local art scene near you. You found many lists on the best galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers that you may want to check out.
Those who are still reading this probably love art as much as we do. If so don’t be afraid to use the comments to share your own local tips or to let us know if you think we got anything wrong.
We hope you enjoy your time at the best Denver Art Galleries, Museums, Supply Stores or doing whatever it else you plan to do with the info.