If you are trying to learn about art in Lisbon you are definitely in the right place and our first section will fully cover the best art galleries and museums near you.
After that we will get into a variety of other topics like art supply stores, events, festivals, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, local sculptures and statues, art classes, studios for rent, and the top frame shops in your area.
You can jump straight to any section that interests you most by using the table of contents on the left and we are also including a Lisbon art map with all of the spots we mention throughout the post pinned on it.
You can look through more of our posts on Europe at that link.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Lisbon
If you want to visit the best art galleries and museums in Lisbon you can go to:
- Museu Nacional De Arte Contemporânea Do Chiado at Rua Serpa Pinto 4
- Hangar Gallery at Rua Damasceno Monteiro 12 r/c
- Museum Of Art Architecture & Technology at Av Brasília
- Underdogs Gallery at Rua Fernando Palha 56
- Museu Coleção Berardo at Praça Do Império
- Museu Nacional Do Azulejo at Rua Da Madre De Deus 4
- Galeria 111 at Rua Dr João Soares 5B
- Museu Nacional De Arte Antiga at Rua das Janelas Verdes
- Galeria De São Mamede at Rua Escola Politécnica 167
- The Switch Gallery at Rua Heróis De Quionga 54D
- Calouste Gulbenkian Museum at Av De Berna 45A
- A Pequena Galeria at Av 24 De Julho 4C
Back in 1911 Museu Nacional De Arte Contemporânea first opened its doors as one of the first contemporary art museums in your area and they currently have great workshops and educational programs for children in addition to some excellent exhibits that you can check out starting at 10am every day of the week but Monday when they are closed.
Hangar Gallery is open from 3pm to 7pm Wednesday through Saturday and hosts various events including lectures, concerts, artist talks, and more all through the year. They also rent out studio space and have their Mini-Hangar program that consists of education, workshops, activities, a library, plus a residency program.
The Museum Of Art Architecture and Technology has free entry on the first Sunday of the month for everyone plus daily free entry for kids under 12 years old, journalists, MAAT members, visitors with special needs, and people who are unemployed. Some of their most famous installations include Lawrence Weiner’s ‘Placed on Either Side of the Light’ and ‘Central Tejo’ by Pedro Cabrita Reis and you can check them all out from 10am to 7pm every day but Tuesday when they are closed.
You can find family visit-workshops and activities for all ages at Museu Colecção Berardo which is open from 10am to 7pm daily and they display famous works that were created by Pablo Picasso, Joan Miró, Francis Bacon, Andy Warhol, Marcel Duchamp, Piet Mondrian, Donald Judd, Bruce Nauman, and Cindy Sherman.
First established in 1884 the Museu Nacional De Arte Antiga in Lisbon was housed in the Palácio Alvor for nearly 130 years and has collected over 40,000 items including ‘St. Vincent Panels’ by Nuno Gonçalves and ‘Cross of Dom Sancho I’.
You can also find works by great Portugal artists like Vieira da Silva, Paula Rego, and Almada and Nadir Afonso at Galeria De São Mamede which are on display from 10am to 6pm every day but Monday.
At The Switch Gallery they do custom projects to promote collaboration across a variety of creative industries in addition to hosting shows, performances, and events. Head over to see what they offer from 3pm to 7pm Wednesday through Saturday.
There are over 10,000 works from the end of the 19th century to present day at Calouste Gulbenkian Museum who also has an extensive art library that is open from 10am 6pm every day but Tuesday for anyone that wants to study the history of art, fine arts, architecture, or design.
Materials & Supplies Near You
There are quite a few stores to buy art supplies and materials in your area like:
- Ponto Das Artes at Rua Ivens 10
- Papelaria Fernandes at Largo Do Rato 13
- Crack Kids Lisboa at Rua Da Cintura Do Porto De Lisboa 20
- Loja De Belas Artes Anamorfose at Rua Marquesa De Alorna 31 B
- Dedicated Store Lisbon at Estrada De A Da Maia 25 D
- A Papelaria Sousa Ribeiro at Av De Madrid 28 B
Ponto Das Artes also has stores in Almada, Cacem, Cascais, and Porto.
Papelaria Fernandes first opened up their doors in 1891 and all these years later they have over 20,000 items for sale.
Those who are interested in local street art and graffiti will love the selection of products and supplies at Crack Kids Lisboa who also offers team-building activities as well as several indoor or outdoor programs.
A Papelaria Sousa Ribeiro has a few fine art materials stores near you around Portugal.
Shows & Events
You should also check out these local art shows, festivals, and events:
- Lisboa na Rua in August
- Arco Lisboa International Contemporary Art Fair in May
Every August the Lisboa na Rua festival fills the streets and city squares with art, theatre, music, dance, magic, and more.
More than 70 galleries, collectors, curators and other professionals gather for the Arco Lisboa International Contemporary Art Fair event each May.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
There are some quality art dealers and appraisers in your area if you feel like buying or selling a piece:
- Malapata at Rua Nova do Almada 9
- Merc’art at Rua Rodrigues Faria 103
- Accattatisart at R dos Remédios 86
- Mariana Custodio Art at R Castilho 90
Malapata specializes in selling emerging contemporary art featuring innovative artists who work on a wide variety of techniques like painting, illustration, and sculpture.
Accattatisart sells their art at Santa Clara and Alfama.
You can get art consultations that do a wide range of services from private individual collectors to established institutions such as art acquisition, collection management, project planning, budgeting, delivery, and installation services from Mariana Custodio.
Underdogs Gallery from our main list also sells art in your area.
If you are reading this when the weather is nice these local art walking tours could be fun:
- Lisbon Street Art Tours at Martim Moniz
- City Guru Lisbon at R Luz Soriano 67
- Alternative Lisbon at Tv Pereira 35A
Lisbon Street Art Tours does exactly what the name suggests as they will take you to some of the best urban art scenery and street art in the city and all of Portugal.
City Guru Lisbon goes right through the unique local arts scene and an open-air gallery.
Alternative Lisbon focuses on authentic tours and cultural experiences offering first-hand insights into Lisbon’s street art in addition to its cultural and creative community.
Sculptures & Statues
You may also want to take selfies with these sculptures and statues:
- Padrão dos Descobrimentos at Av Brasília
- Lottery Seller Sculpture at Largo Trindade
- Monument Gago Coutinho e Sacadura Cabral at Av Brasilia Belém
- Escultura de Fernando Pessoa at R Garrett 122
- Statue of António Ribeiro at Largo do Chiado 24
You can find the Padrão dos Descobrimentos monument on the Northern bank of the Tagus River where it has sat since 1939.
Fernanda de Assis created the Lottery Seller Sculpture back in the late 1980’s and it was inaugurated on the 204th anniversary of the national lotto.
You can find the Monument Gago Coutinho e Sacadura Cabral in Jardim da Torre de Belém.
Lagoa Henriques created the Escultura de Fernando Pessoa that you can find in front of Café A Brasileira on Rua Garrett.
Another cool site to see on Rua Garret is the Statue of António Ribeiro which is a short walk from Carmo Convent.
Lisbon Art Classes
Some of you may be interested in private lessons while others may want group classes for kids, teens, or adults but either way the best Lisbon art schools are:
- Atelier Arts Vera Santos Silva at R Abade Faria 28F
- Faculdade de Belas Artes da Universidade de Lisboa at Largo da Academia Nacional de Belas Artes 4
- Arco at Antigo Mercado de Xabregas R Gualdim Pais
- Nextart at R da Vitória 73
- E Art Academy at Tv Paulo Jorge 11A
- Nova Academia Lisboa at Rua Amélia Rey Colaço N3J
In addition to providing local art lessons for all ages Atelier Arts Vera Santos Silva also has classes in theater, dance, music, yoga, and other spiritual endeavors.
In case you don’t speak Portuguese the second on the list is the Faculty of Fine Arts at the University of Lisbon. Obviously taking art classes at a major university is out of reach for most reading this but if you want to get the best education possible it certainly needs to be considered as they have bachelors, masters, and Ph. D’s too.
Arco also has full programs for professional oriented people as well as less intensive continuing education programs, youth programs, and summer courses.
You can find quality art lessons from good instructors in painting, digital art, and sculptures from Nextart.
There are art lessons for all ages, free art workshops in ceramics, and even live drawing of nude models at E Art Academy.
Expect to find classes in a wide range of mediums from painting to music, theater, and dance available at Nova Academia Lisboa.
Museu Nacional De Arte Contemporânea from our initial best museums and galleries list also provides art lessons in your area.
Studios For Rent Near You
You can rent art studio space at:
- Azan-Tomaz Hipólito Studio at Rua Afonso Annes Penedo 50
- Todos at Rua Pereira Henriques 3
- Lacs Communitivity of Creators at Rocha Conde de Óbidos
- Atelier da Graça at Rua do Vale de Santo António 242A
Hangar Gallery and Atelier Arts Vera Santos Silva also have art studios for rent.
A frame can take a normal looking picture a long way, and some of the best places for picture and art framing in Lisbon are:
- Loja Augusto at Rua do Terreirinho 54
- Mool Molduras E Arte at Av Infante Santo 52 D
- A Vencedora at R de São Lázaro 131-133
- Moldureira Espanhola at R Direita de Palma F
- Vidreira Central Da Rua Do Arco at Rua do Arco a S Mamede 38
You can get classic frames or more modern styles from A Vencedora plus they also do glass replacement surfaces on all structures.
Moldureira Espanhola can give you technical support and aesthetic advice when it comes to local framing, art preservation, and presentation.
There are lots of frames and mirrors at Vidreira Central Da Rua Do Arco who sell to commercial, industrial, and residential customers.
You can also read our other posts on:
Have Fun Enjoying The Lisbon Art Scene
Well guys, we tried to cover the full art scene near you to the best of our abilities. We listed the best galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers in your area.
Anyone who stuck around this long might just know quite a bit about the local art scene. It would be cool if you could let us know if you noticed anything incorrect or filled us in on your own tips in the comments.
Have fun going to the galleries, museums, buying supplies or doing anything that has to do with art in Lisbon!