Anyone that wants to learn about art in Los Angeles has definitely come to the right place. Galleries, museums, supplies, schools, shows, events and more will all be broken down in depth for you today.
Kicking this off will be a list and discussion abut the best Los Angeles Art Galleries and Museums. Once they have been broken down we will get into the best local art supply stores that sell all the materials and supplies you desire.
Events, festivals, and shows that take place throughout the year will be the topic of our next section. Art walking tours and some really creative statues and sculptures will get a shout out before we pivot to art classes and lessons in your area for kids and adults.
Some of you may want to skip the lessons and be ready to start your next project right now so local art studios that you might be able to rent will get a mention. We will end this all by mentioning the best shops for framing around town, and there will also be a map for with all of the numerous spots we discuss pinned on it.
And the curious types are welcome to look through more of our posts on art in the Southwest at that link.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Los Angeles
If you want to check out the best art galleries and museums in Los Angeles you can head to:
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art at 5905 Wilshire Blvd
- The Museum of Contemporary Art at 250 S Grand Ave
- The Getty at 1200 Getty Center Dr
- The A+D Museum at 900 E 4th St
- The Autry Museum at 4700 Western Heritage Way
- Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery at 4800 Hollywood Blvd
- Clara Berta Art Studio Gallery at 816 S Main St
- Regen Projects at 6750 Santa Monica Blvd
- Roberts Projects at 5801 Washington Blvd
- David Kordansky Gallery at 5130 W Edgewood Pl
- The Broad at 221 S Grand Ave
- The Hammer Museum at 10899 Wilshire Blvd
- The Long Beach Museum of Art at 2300 East Ocean Blvd, Long Beach
- Loiter Galleries at 180 east 4th St, Long Beach
- Museum of Latin American Art at 628 Alamitos Ave, Long Beach
- Muzeo Museum & Cultural Center at 241 S Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim
- Center Gallery at 250 E Center St, Anaheim
The Los Angeles County Museum of Art is the largest art museum in the western United States with over 142,000 objects spanning the history of art from ancient times to the present including 20 works by Picasso, Paul Klee, and Wassily Kandinsky, as well as sculptures by Alberto Giacometti, Constantin Brâncuși, Henry Moore, and others. Aside from art exhibits the museum hosts film and concert events as well as art classes near you but don’t go on Wednesday because they will be closed.
The Museum of Contemporary Art has a permanent collection of over 7,000 objects, the majority of which are works of American and European contemporary art created after 1940, and they feature a major exhibition of Mark Rothko paintings. The general admission to the museum is free during their regular hours from 11am to 5pm Wednesday through Friday and until 6pm on the weekends and they provide a variety of art classes and workshops for all ages as well as academic-year-long teen programs.
The Getty is not only a good place to see stunning artwork in your area from 10am to 5:30pm daily except for Monday but the architecture and gardens are also top notch.
Throughout the year the Autry Museum hosts a variety of public events and programs including lectures, film, theater, festivals, family activities, and music. The Autry Museum’s collection contains over 600,000 objects and cultural materials and art classes are also available. Head over from 10am to 4pm any day but Monday when they are closed.
The Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery is the city’s longest-running institution dedicated only to presenting art. Offering free entrance and programs such as artist talks, events, performances, and symposiums but for the time being you need to make an appointment to be able to attend.
Clara Berta Art Studio Gallery sells artwork and accepts commissions while Regen Projects and Roberts Projects both sell art. The Broad is home to an approximately 2,000-piece collection of contemporary art by 200 creators including works by Cindy Sherman, Jeff Koons, Ed Ruscha, Roy Lichtenstein, and Andy Warhol. This includes a 1963 Single Elvis and the largest collection of Cindy Sherman works in the world with 129 pieces now on display.
Other notable installations include Yayoi Kusama’s Infinity Mirrored Room – The Souls of Millions of Light Years Away, Julie Mehretu’s 24-foot-wide painting Beloved, and Goshka Macuga’s photo-tapestry Death of Marxism. General admission to the museum is always free and from June through September they hold an annual fourth Friday event that you won’t want to miss.
The Hammer Museum is open to the public for free from 11am to 6pm Tuesday through Sunday and is fueled by active exhibitions and programming like lectures, symposia, film series, readings, and musical performances. They have over 2,000 pieces including works by Paul Cezanne, Edgar Degas, Paul Gauguin, Edouard Manet, Claude Monet, Gustave Moreau, Camille Pissarro, and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.
The permanent collection of the Museum of Latin American Art comprises over 1,300 pieces while they also have art camps and workshops for children as well as a major annual event called the Afro Latinx Festival which takes place in February. Check everything they have out from 11am to 5pm Wednesday through Sunday.
Materials & Supplies Near You
The best places to buy art supplies and materials near you are:
- Top’s Art Supplies at 3447 W 8th St
- Blue Rooster Art Supplies at 4661 Hollywood Blvd
- Raw Materials Art Supplies at 645 S Los Angeles St
- Carter Sexton Artist’s Materials at 5308 Laurel Canyon Blvd
- Baller Art Ware at 3714 Tracy St
- Blick Art Materials at 7301 W Beverly Blvd
- Michaels at 7340 Carson Blvd, Long Beach
- Coast Airbrush at 312 N Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim
Top’s Art Supplies specializes in Anderson products, Shinhan paint, handmade paper, and Asian art supplies in your area. Carter Sexton Artist’s Materials can do work with high-resolution digital photographs of your artwork, custom stretched canvas, airbrush compressor cleaning and repair, and fine art shipping.
Coast Airbrush excels at airbrush materials and does classes and workshops as well as airbrush and compressor repair services.
Shows, Festivals & Events
There are some incredible local art shows, festivals, and events like:
- LA Art Show in January
- Annual Photo LA Fair in January
- Afro Latinx Festival in February
- The Broad Fourth Friday from June to September
- Long Beach Art Walk every 2nd Saturday
The Los Angeles Art Show is an unparalleled international art experience near you with over 80 galleries, museums, and non-profit arts organizations from around the world exhibiting painting, sculpture, works on paper, installation, photography, design, video, and performance at the LA Convention Center. Much of the artwork presented by the galleries is for sale.
Annual Photo LA Fair is the longest-running international photographic art fair and the event is usually held in January at the Reef. The event has been running for nearly three decades.
For about a decade MOLAA has dedicated a day to celebrating the cultural impact of the African diaspora in the Americas through music, dancing, and food during its Afro-Latinx Family Festival. Fourth Friday is a monthly event at The Broad that takes place from 5pm to 8pm from June to September at the end of the month and features live music and performances.
Long Beach Art Walk is held every second Saturday of the month just blocks from the beach in the heart of the East Village Arts District. Featuring painting, sculpture, performances, trades, and live music all your senses will be satisfied when paired with food and beverages from a variety of restaurants and bars located within the local art walk.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
Find out the true value of something you own already or considering buying new works at art dealers and appraisers in your area:
- Artspace Warehouse at 7358 Beverly Blvd
- Global Images USA at 6250 Hollywood Blvd
- Janet Sirmon Fine Art at 3371 Glendale Blvd #493
- Bravado Fine Arts at 325 N Larchmont Blvd #222 B
- Quality Art Auctions Inc at 5300 W 83rd St
- Masterpiece Publishing Inc at 1106 N Gilbert St, Anaheim
Artspace Warehouse provides free art consultations as well as artwork delivery, placement, and professional installation. They also have art for rent along with custom commissioned artwork.
Janet Sirmon Fine Art specializes in locating rare and difficult-to-find artwork by creators like Frantisek Drtikol, Man Ray, and László Moholy-Nagy. Their areas of expertise include European Modernism and American Social Documentary work.
Bravado Fine Arts can help with acquisitions, commissions, collection management and planning. Their trademark is the acquisition and sale of fine art at auction in the proper market, and they also provide appraisal services and fine art restoration in your area.
Berta Art Studio Gallery, Regen Projects and Roberts Projects from main list above also sell art.
Take an art walk to find all kinds of cool stuff:
- LA Art Tours at 670 Moulton Ave #9
- Downtown LA Walking Tours at 600 W 9th St #603
- Cartwheel Arts Tours at 688 S Santa Fe Ave
- Downtown LA Art Walk at 125 W 4th St #100
- Long Beach Art Walk at 501 E Broadway, Long Beach
LA Art Tours offers walking and biking group tours into hidden artist lofts, back-alley graffiti, private gallery showings, and off-the-beaten-path street art adventures. All of their tours are also available in private.
Downtown LA Walking Tours provides public and private tours for parties, schools, groups, and corporate events. They will take you to visit one of LA’s most interesting neighborhoods which has a largest collection of street art, mural exhibitions and galleries over the 2 hour tour.
Cartwheel Arts Tours offers personalized tour itineraries and experiences for private and public groups. They take individuals and groups on immersive journeys that involve art, food, and history in culturally diverse neighborhoods including the Downtown LA Arts District.
Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk is a self-guided art experience of local galleries, artist studios, and cultural events that started as a monthly event along Spring and Main Streets. Long Beach Art Walk is held every second Saturday of the month only blocks from the beach in the center of the East Village Arts District.
Sculptures & Statues
There are some really nice sculptures and statues around town like:
- The Fran & Ray Stark Sculpture Garden at 1200 Getty Center Dr
- Franklin D Murphy Sculpture Garden at 245 Charles E Young Dr E
- The Freedom Sculpture at Santa Monica Blvd
- Triforium at Fletcher Bowron Sq
- Water Forms II Fountain Sculpture at 1600 Campus Rd
- Faces of Elysian Valley at N Figueroa St
The Fran and Ray Stark Sculpture Garden is a collection of British sculptures located at the foot of the hill near the tram stop where visitors first enter the Getty Center. Over 70 sculptures by artists such as Hans Arp, Deborah Butterfield, Alexander Calder, Barbara Hepworth, Jacques Lipchitz, Henry Moore, Auguste Rodin, and David Smith are housed in the Franklin D Murphy Sculpture Garden which encompasses more than five acres of UCLA’s campus.
The Freedom Sculpture is a stainless steel, gold, and silver public sculpture by artist and architect Cecil Balmond that was installed on July 4, 2017 in Century City. Triforium is a 60-foot-tall concrete public sculpture in Fletcher Bowron Square that was erected in 1975 and designed by Joseph Young.
Water Forms II is a kinetic fountain sculpture designed by professor George Baker that was installed by Occidental College in 1979. The fountain is a campus landmark and was featured significantly in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.
Los Angeles Art Classes
Whether you are a parent trying to get lessons for kids or are an adult who wants to grow their skills you have some options. Some of the best Los Angeles art schools and classes can be found at:
- Raminfard School of Arts at 10604 W Pico Blvd
- Los Angeles Music and Art School at 3630 E 3rd St
- Kline Academy of Fine Art at 3264 Motor Ave
- Los Angeles Academy of Art at 4157 W 5th St #207
- Ann Bridges Art Studio at 3923 W 6th St
- Mission Renaissance at 3055 Overland Ave
- Averyboo Arts at 3908 Atlantic Ave, Long Beach
- Inspyr Arts at 2535 E Broadway, Long Beach
- Young’s Art Studio at 510 N Magnolia Ave, Anaheim
Raminfard School of Arts provides group and private art lessons to students of all ages and abilities. They host special workshops on a variety of fine art subjects once a month as well as private paint parties.
Los Angeles Music and Art School provides multidisciplinary and sequential teaching in music, visual art, dance, and theatre to primarily K-12 children during non-school hours. They provide both subsidized and free tuition, as well as private and group lessons while summer camps and adult classes are also available.
Kline Academy of Fine Art has classes for people of all ages in group and private formats as well as exclusive workshops featuring world-renowned artists. Children ages 2 to 12 can take art classes near you at Averyboo Arts who also has lessons for homeschoolers in addition to art camps and private parties for children.
Inspyr Arts provides traditional and digital art classes for children, teens, and adults. Free trial classes are available if you want to see what they have to offer before registering.
Other places we have mentioned throughout the post with local art classes include The Autry Museum, The Los Angeles County Museum, The Museum of Latin American Art, Blue Rooster Art Supplies, and Raw Materials.
Studios For Rent Near You
When you can’t wait to get that next project started rent some space at one of these art studios:
- Allmost Art Studios at 1288 S La Brea Ave
- Blue Roof Studios at 7329 S Broadway Ave
- Keystone Art Space at 338 S Avenue 16
- Hive Gallery & Studios at 729 S Spring St
A frame can transform a regular looking piece or picture to that next level and some of the best places for custom picture and art framing in your area are:
- Allan Jeffries Framing at 8301 W 3rd St
- Downtown Framing Outlet at 1069 W Sunset Blvd
- Ted Gibson Picture Frames at 4271 W 3rd St
- Frugal Phil’s Frame Factory Outlet at 2317 Westwood Blvd
- Ballard’s Artwork Framing at 1568 W Sunset Blvd
- Delgado Bros Frames at 647 E 59th St
- Picture This Gallery & Custom Framing at 4130 Norse Way, Long Beach
- Artistic Edge Art & Framing at 410 St Louis Ave, Long Beach
- University Frames at 3060 E Miraloma Ave, Anaheim
Downtown Framing Outlet serves Downtown, Echo Park, Silver Lake, Elysian Park, and the surrounding areas. Ted Gibson Picture Frames has been in business for almost 70 years and provides a wide range of services including art and frame restoration to your area.
Photographs, paintings, frames, and other items can all be restored by Picture This Gallery & Custom Framing. If you want to compare the scene here to some others in the region check out our posts on:
Have Fun Enjoying The Los Angeles Art Scene
At the moment that is all we have to share about the full art scene near you. We listed the best local galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers in your area that you may want to check out.
Those who are still reading this probably love art as much as we do. If so go ahead and use the comments to share your own tips or to mention anything incorrect so we can fix it.
We hope you enjoy your time at the best Los Angeles Art Galleries, Museums, Supply Stores or doing whatever it else you plan to do with the info.