Hello folks! Thanks for joining us for this discussion about art in Nashville. Galleries, museums, supplies, schools, shows, events and more will be covered in detail throughout the post.
We know your time is important so we will try to keep this intro short and sweet. Starting right off with the best Nashville Art Galleries and Museums seems like the most natural way to do this.
However they are only a small piece of this puzzle as there are many other topics we must get into like the best art stores in your area when you need to pick up new materials or supplies. And of course the best monthly or annual shows and events have to get a shout out.
Going on an art walking tour or taking a casual stroll around the right areas of town to see some of the most unique statues and sculptures near you is a great plan on a sunny day. There are also many group classes or private lessons available at Nashville art schools if you want to improve your skills.
We will also mention where to rent art studio space, in addition to discussing dealers, appraisers, and framing services. As you might imagine both Murfreesboro and Franklin will come up often throughout, and you can also read some of our other posts on cities around the Southeast at that link.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Nashville
For the best art galleries and museums in Nashville you can head to:
- Frist Art Museum at 919 Broadway
- Zeitgeist at 516 Hagan St #100
- Bennett Galleries at 2104 Crestmoor Rd
- Sarratt Gallery at 2302 Vanderbilt Pl
- Red Arrow Gallery at 919 Gallatin Ave
- Tinney Contemporary at 237 Rep. John Lewis Way N
- The Rymer Gallery at 233 Rep. John Lewis Way N
- David Lusk Gallery at 516 Hagan St
- Channel To Channel Gallery at 3800 St Elmo Ave #111
- The Center for the Arts at 110 W College Ave, Murfreesboro
- MTSU Todd Art Gallery at 542 Old Main Cir, Murfreesboro
- Gallery 202 at 202 2nd Ave S, Franklin
- Leiper’s Creek Gallery at 4144 Old Hillsboro Rd, Franklin
One of the coolest parts about The Frist Art Museum is that they have new exhibitions every month or two so each time you visit you will see something new. They have a great volunteer program the Teen Arts Action Group which is for teens aged 15 to 18 years old.
They do other fundraisers too, plus they put on some great events like The First Gala which includes the Patron Party. In addition to displaying some great artwork Bennett Galleries is one of the best places to go for custom framing near you.
But they are on this list instead of the framing list because they have some really nice paintings and sculptures that have been created by emerging artists.
Another place you can check out on an upcoming art crawl in your area that we will mention again soon is the Tinney Contemporary Gallery. They sell museum-quality art from their rotating exhibitions to private and corporate clients.
They can help you with every aspect of buying art like selecting, purchasing, framing, and installing the new pieces. The David Lusk Gallery was opened in the mid 1990’s with a focus on fine and contemporary works and they even have another location over in Memphis if you are ever heading that way.
At The Center for the Arts they do theater productions, exhibitions of visual arts, concerts, dance performances, in addition to providing educational classes. The instructors at their Center Stage Academy can teach kids all kinds of cool stuff like musical theater, aesthetic art, acting and more. If you need to rent costumes or props for your own performances they can provide them as well.
At The Todd Art Gallery you will find works from MTSU’s Art and Design Department. Their exhibits are free to enter and some of the works are for sale. Whether you are a fan of sculptures, representational painting, or abstract expressionism you will find something you like at Leiper’s Creek Gallery.
You can even submit your own artwork to them plus they have various workshops and special events throughout the year.
Materials & Supplies Near You
The best places to buy art supplies and materials in your area are:
- Smart Art + Craft Supplies at 2416 Music Valley Dr
- The Clay Lady’s at 1416 Lebanon Pike
- Marker Supply Co at 113 Graylynn Dr
- Jerry’s Artarama at 713 Main St
- Plaza Artist Materials at 633 Middleton St
- Michaels at 719 Thompson Ln
- Hobby Lobby at 1717 Old Fort Pkwy, Murfreesboro
- Michaels at 2615 Medical Center Pkwy, Murfreesboro
- Hobby Lobby at 1113 Murfreesboro Rd, Franklin
You can get a great price on all kinds of supplies and materials or try the art classes for all ages at Smart Art + Craft Supplies. The Clay Lady is a great place to go for clay and pottery supplies, but they have other stuff too.
Plus they have classes on how to make pottery, paintings, sculptures, and stained glass. In addition to being a great supply shop Jerry’s Artarama is known to be very good at custom framing.
We doubt we need to mention what the Michaels and Hobby Lobby stores near you have to offer.
Shows & Events
Some of the best art shows and events held in your area would be:
We mentioned it before but the Nashville First Saturday Art Crawl that takes place downtown every first weekend of the month is a can’t miss. Over a thousand people take advantage of this free event where the galleries offer new opportunities to see their latest exhibitions.
You can find the Greenway Art Festival at Old Fort Park along the Murfreesboro Greenway each September. This family-friendly event will feature live music, art demonstrations, and artworks for sale.
Five Points is the location of the Tomato Art Fest in your area which usually brings in over 50,000 visitors over the 2 days the festival is going on. Nashville Scene Reader’s Polls voted it the best festival in the city eight years in a row because of the great local music, tasty food, themed art, costumes, unique contests, shopping, and fun activities that are available.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
When you need help with buying, selling, or valuing a piece contact these art dealers and appraisers:
- Cumberland Gallery Advisory at 4107 Hillsboro Cir
- Stanford Fine Art at 6608A Highway #100
- Richland Fine Art at 4009 Hillsboro Pike #203A
- O Gallery at 65 Arcade Alley #42
- Liles McBurney Fine Art Consultants at 421 Valley Trace Dr
- Lequire Gallery at 4304 Charlotte Ave
- Emery’s Fine Arts Gallery at 1601 Memorial Blvd, Murfreesboro
- Rare Prints Gallery at 420 Main St, Franklin
- Stonebridge Art Gallery at 230 Franklin Rd #11C
O Gallery can provide art advisory for corporations, architectural firms, hospitality firms and more. They also do art classes, parties, and accept commissions.
Whether you are an individual or business who needs help with art acquisition, collections management or exhibition and curatorial services Liles McBurney Fine Art Consultants can help you out. Their turnkey service provides shipping, insuring, and installations.
There are over 6,000 pieces of original art, lithographs, and prints at Emery’s Fine Art that were created by more than 2,000 emerging artists near you. Stonebridge Art Gallery collects, curates, frames, and sells local and international art. Some of their specialties include canvas stretching and custom framing for fine arts.
What is better than walking around outside on a beautiful day and seeing some cool art:
- The Nashville Mural at 533 Lafayette St
- Nashville Downtown at 150 4th Ave N
- Greenway Art Festival at 910 Golf Lane, Murfreesboro
- Franklin Art Scene at 112 E Fowlkes St, Franklin
The Off the Wagon Building is where you will find Nashville Murals. They also provide tours which will take you around midtown, the gulch, and of course downtown.
This wagon tour is only available to adults 21 years of age or older. Downtown Nashville is just loaded with all kinds of cool things to see and do. You can walk around on your own, or we highly suggest you join the Art Crawl on the First Saturday of each month.
Every September you can check out the Greenway Art Festival where local and regional artists display their latest works along the Greenway Trail at Old Fort Park. On each First Friday of the month you can visit the Franklin Art Scene located in historic downtown Franklin.
Expect to find 20 or more galleries and other venues throughout the downtown area and around The Factory. Another monthly event that makes for a great walk is the Weho Art Crawl which takes place on the first Saturday of each month.
There are more than ten art galleries that are within walking distance in the Wedgewood-Houston area that open their doors to the public for free.
Sculptures & Statues
There are some really nice sculptures and statues around town like:
- Citizen at Public Square Park
- Corn & Tomato Sculpture at The Farmers’ Market
- Tennessee Woman Suffrage Monument at Centennial Park
- Musica Statue at 1600 Division St
- Chet Atkins Statue at 254-268 Rep. John Lewis Way N
Thomas Sayre created Citizen which you can find at Public Square Park. Paige Easter & Dan Goostree made the Corn and Tomato Sculpture which you can find at the Farmers’ Market, and both of these were installed in 2010.
Centennial Park is the home of Alan LeQuire’s Tennessee Woman Suffrage Monument which has been up since 2012. The Musica Statue was unveiled nearly two decades ago and it is another masterpiece made by Alan LeQuire. Find it in the Music Row District across from Owen Bradley Park.
The Chet Atkins Statue was a creation of Russell Faxon and you can check it out at Fifth Avenue and Union Street.
Nashville Art Classes
At the best Nashville art schools you can usually take private lessons or group classes for kids, teens, and adults:
- Watkins College of Art at 2298 Rosa L Parks Blvd
- Nashville School of the Arts at 1250 Foster Ave
- Nossi College of Art at 590 Creative Way
- Paint + Canvas at 6913 Lenox Village Dr
- Art & Soul at 4340 Sidco Dr
- Golden House Studio at Cypress Dr, Murfreesboro
- On Track Studios at 1978 Wilson Pike, Franklin
There are nine unique arts conservatories that students can audition for at the Nashville School of the Arts which is a specialty high school. In addition to visual arts and literary arts the rest are geared towards music and theatre.
Nossi College of Art has fall, spring, and summer classes in both the day and night. They have bachelor degree programs in graphic design, photography, video and film plus associate degrees in culinary arts and photography.
There are classes for children and open painting sessions available at Paint + Canvas. Their instructors also give private lessons for watercolors, pastels, and acrylic painting.
Parents might also be interested in their summer camps for children ages 7 and up. Golden House Studios has all kinds of classes available including weekly or bi-monthly classes. Their instructors will also do private one-on-one lessons. Smart Art + Craft Supplies, The Clay Lady’s from art supplies list also offer classes.
Studios For Rent Near You
You can rent art studio space in your area at:
- Ryman Lofts at 602 Taylor St
- Make Nashville at 620B Davidson St
- Ground Floor Gallery + Studios at 942 4th Ave South
- 508 Lofts at 508 Davidson St
A frame can transform a regular looking piece or picture to that next level and some of the best places for art framing in Nashville are:
- Hanging Around at 1506 8th Ave S
- Belle Meade Framers at 73 White Bridge Rd #114
- Midtown Gallery Framers at 644 W Iris Dr
- Robin’s Gallery & Create It at 2607 Lebanon Pike
- Country Cupboard at 325 N Front St, Murfreesboro
- Damico Frame & Art Gallery at 112 E Fowlkes St, Franklin
- Frames Unlimited at 116 N Royal Oaks Blvd #123, Franklin
Belle Meade Framers does everything from selling frames and shadow boxes to providing restoration services, acquisition services, canvas stretching, and installation. In addition to being experts in custom framing, canvas stretching, and shadowbox framing Robin’s Gallery & Create It sells oil paintings, photographs, limited prints, and artistic gifts. Their corporate accounts get free pickup and delivery.
Décor Magazine voted Frames Unlimited as one of the Top 100 Framers in America 5 times. You can look through their more than 1,000 moulding choices and ready-made frames.
They will provide installations for homes and offices, plus they sell original fine art, portraits, and commissions by their local staff artists. Bennett Galleries from our main list and Jerry’s Artarama, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby from our supplies list also offer custom framing in your area.
We have also written posts about:
- The Local Art Scene in Knoxville
- The Local Art Scene in Chattanooga
- The Local Art Scene in Memphis
- The Local Art Scene in Atlanta
Have Fun Enjoying The Nashville Art Scene
That is currently all we have to share about the full art scene near you so it is time for us to say lets go folks. We listed the best galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers that you may want to check out.
Anyone who stuck around this long might just know quite a bit about the local art scene. We and our readers would both really appreciate it if you could let us know if you noticed anything incorrect or if you shared your own local tips in the comments.
We hope you enjoy your time at the best Nashville Art Galleries, Museums, Supply Stores or doing whatever it else you plan to do with the info.