In this post we will be discussing everything we know about art in Indianapolis. Galleries, museums, supplies, schools, shows, events and more will be discussed as this post moves along.
Our goal is to make this a one stop shop that has all the information that you need. We will begin by diving into the best art galleries and museums near you where some of the finest exhibitions and collections in the region can be found.
They are only the starting point as we have many other things to mention like the best art stores in your area for when you need to pick up new materials or supplies. Obviously the best shows and events held throughout the year can’t be forgotten.
On a sunny day go on an art walking tour or just take a stroll and see some of the more creative statues and sculptures around town. Taking group classes or private lessons at one of the better Indianapolis art schools could be a great way to level up your game in a hurry.
There are some art studios for rent if you are ready to get things moving on your next project. Plus we will be covering dealers, appraisers, and framing services.
You may want to look through some of our other guides on cities around the Midwest. Here is an Indianapolis art map to get things going before we share all of the info you came for.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Indianapolis
If you want to visit the best art galleries and museums in Indianapolis you can go to:
- Newfields at 4000 N Michigan Rd
- Gallery 924 at 924 N Pennsylvania St
- Harrison Center at 1505 N Delaware St
- The Murphy Art Center at 1043 Virginia Ave
- Kuaba Gallery at 404 W Main St, Carmel
- Magdalena Gallery of Arts at 27 E Main St, Carmel
- CCA Gallery at 111 W Main St, Carmel
- Anderson Museum of Art at 32 Hst W 10th St, Anderson
If names like Monet, Van Gogh, Picasso and Rembrandt interest you then you will love the collection at Newfields which is available starting at 11am every day but Monday when they are closed, plus they have a summer camp program for kids ages 5 to 13.
The Harrison Center is a major player in the local cultural scene that is open from 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday. Not only do they have a nice collection but they also sell art and host various live events throughout the year including the annual Independent Music + Arts Festival near you every June.
The First Friday events held each month at The Murphy Art Center are something that many of you will be interested in checking out.
At the Magdalena Gallery of Arts in Indianapolis they have art classes for all ages, but be warned that the whole place is closed on Sunday and Monday so don’t head over then.
There are works displayed from over 30 professional and award winning Hoosiers arts on display at the CCA Gallery who also sells fine art and gifts in a variety of mediums. They usually open at 11am but on Sunday you have to visit them an hour later.
On First Fridays and every Wednesday anyone can get free admission to the Anderson Museum of Art and students are always free. They are open from noon to 5pm Wednesday through Friday, from 10am to 5pm on Saturday, and open at 2pm on Sunday and they also hold a few cool events throughout the year including a variety of workshops and classes for kids and adults.
Materials & Supplies Near You
There are quite a few stores in your area to buy art supplies and materials:
- Amaco Brent at 6060 Guion Rd
- United Art at 7639 S US Hwy 31
- Michaels at 5151 E 82nd St
- Joann at 1361 W 86th St
- Hobby Lobby at 2003 E Greyhound Pass, Carmel
- The Craft Corner at 4 E Main St, Anderson
- Hobby Lobby at 1804 S Scatterfield Rd, Anderson
Amaco Brent has all the pottery supplies you could ever need and they also host local pottery classes.
There are over 20,000 items for sale at United Art.
The Craft Corner is loaded with all kinds of arts, crafts, and tatting supplies.
Shows & Events
There are some great art shows and events near you held throughout the year:
- Art & Soul in February
- Broad Ripple Art Fair in May
- Independent Music + Art Festival in June
- Penrod Arts Fair in September
- The Murphy Art Center First Friday
Art & Soul goes down at the Artsgarden in February with a focus on giving African American artists a way to show off their latest works while everyone listens to a diverse mix of music, watches performances, and has a great time.
Many of the nation’s best artists will gather for the highly selective Broad Ripple Art Fair at the Indianapolis Art Center every May.
We mentioned it before but the Independent Music + Art Festival is a free all day outdoor festival hosted by the Harrison Center each June featuring local musicians, artists, great food and lots of fun.
On the first Saturday after Labor Day you can visit the Newfields Campus for the The Penrod Arts Fair which is one of the largest one day art fairs in America.
Every First Friday of the month you can head to the second floor of the Murphy Arts Center when local visual artists display their finest pieces.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
There are some quality art dealers and appraisers in your area if you feel like buying or selling a piece:
- Eckert & Ross Fine Art at 5627 N Illinois St
- Ripley Auctions at 2764 E 55th Pl
- Mary Johnston Studio at 27 E Main St, Carmel
Eckert & Ross Fine Art buys, sells, and appraises works of art.
Ripley Auctions can provide complete auction and appraisal services.
Other places we have listed throughout the post where art is for sale include the Harrison Center, Kuaba Gallery, and the CCA Gallery.
If you are reading this when the weather is nice these art walking tours could be fun:
- Mass Ave Arts District at 339 Massachusetts Ave
- Carmel Arts & Design District at 37 E Main St, Carmel
While it may not exactly be a tour the Mass Ave Arts District is a 5 block area that is loaded with public art, galleries, theaters, restaurants, and a whole lot of culture.
When you walk around the Carmel Arts & Design District you will find lots of galleries, antique dealers, public sculptures, cultural amenities, interior design showrooms, and more.
Sculptures & Statues
You may also want to take pictures of these sculptures and statues in your area:
- Creations By Pat Mack at 5016 Carvel Ave
- Funky Bones at The Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park
- Beacon Bloom at Westfield Blvd & 96th St
- Eternal Spring at W Main and 3rd Ave, Carmel
- One Man’s Search at 110 W Main St, Carmel
Atelier Van Lieshout created Funky Bones which has been at The Virginia B. Fairbanks Art and Nature Park since 2010.
Beacon Bloom is a great local sculpture that was created by Arlon Bayliss back in 2017.
Jerry Joslin sculpted Eternal Spring.
One Man’s Search can be found just East of the Monon Trail.
Indianapolis Art Classes
You may want to find an instructor for private lessons or join group classes for kids, teens, or adults but either way the best Indianapolis art schools are:
- Indianapolis Art Center at 820 E 67th St
- Herron School of Art + Design at 735 W New York St
- Indiana Fine Arts Academy at 2720 E 86th St
- Get Dirty Ceramics at 1043 Virginia Ave
- My Art Carmel at 841 S Rangeline Rd #300, Carmel
- The Art Lab at 254 Veterans Way, Carmel
The Indianapolis Art Center has art classes in your area for all ages, summer camps, and homeschool programs plus they host group and teambuilding activities while providing a great scholarship program.
You can also get scholarships and financial aid from the Herron School of Art + Design if you try one of their art degree programs.
There are year round group classes or private lessons for kids ages 6 to 17 available at the Indiana Fine Arts Academy near you.
Group pottery classes or private lessons are available at Get Dirty Ceramics.
You can find canvas painting events for kids, host a kids art birthday party, or check out one of the year round camps and workshops at My Art Carmel.
There are also semi-private group classes for kids and adults or private parties and summer camps at The Art Lab.
You can find more classes at Magdalena Gallery of Arts and Amaco Brent from some of our other lists.
Studios For Rent Near You
At some point you may want to begin your next project and if so you might want to rent local art studio space at:
- Indy Indie Artist Colony at 26 E 14th St
- Circle City Industrial Complex at 1125 E Brookside Ave
- Stutz Business & Art Center at 1060 N Capitol Ave #C200
- Indiana Design Center at 200 S Rangeline Rd, Carmel
A frame can take a normal looking picture a long way, and some of the best places for art framing in Indianapolis are:
- The Frame Shop at 617 Massachusetts Ave
- Petrov Frame & Restoring Company at 5172 N College Ave
- Indianapolis Picture Frames at 5148 B E 65th St
- The Great Frame Up at 612 N Delaware St
- Irvington Picture Frame Company at 5410 E Washington St
- Affordable Custom Picture Framing at 11940 Westwood Dr, Carmel
- Four Corners Framing at 10485 N Michigan Rd #130, Carmel
- Park Place Arts at 515 E 8th St, Anderson
If you need volume or corporate framing then The Frame Shop can help you out plus they excel at art restorations, delivery, and installation throughout your area.
You can get frame restorations and replicas or art restoration services from Petrov Frame & Restoring Company.
For a custom frame shop serving Indianapolis, Carmel, and Zionsville that has thousands of unique moldings and mattings try out Four Corners Framing.
Anderson Museum of Art from our best museums near you list also does framing.
By the way we have also covered:
- Everything Art in Cincinnati
- Everything Art in St Louis
- Everything Art in Chicago
- Everything Art in Detroit
Have Fun Enjoying The Indianapolis Art Scene
Well guys, we tried to cover the full art scene near you to the best of our abilities. We listed the best galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers in your area.
If you made it all the way to the end then you probably love the local art scene as much as we do. You can let us know about any of your own tips and tricks in the comments at the end of the post, or please also let us know if we got anything wrong or if anything we posted has become dated.
Have fun going to the galleries, museums, buying supplies or doing anything that has to do with art in Indianapolis!