Well hello there and thanks for checking out our post about art in Oakland. Galleries, museums, supplies, schools, shows, events and more will be discussed in detail for you today.
We know how busy some of you must be so we won’t waste your time rambling. Getting right into the best Oakland Art Galleries and Museums where you can see some of the finest exhibits in town seems like the best plan of attack.
The most popular art stores in your area where you can find all the supplies and materials you could ever need will follow them up. Then we will give a quick shout out to the best shows and events this town has to offer.
When the weather is nice take advantage of it by going on an art walking tour or by seeing some of the most unique statues and sculptures in town. Those who are ready to take their game to the next level could sign up for group classes or private lessons at one of the nicer art schools in Oakland.
Some may want to rent out an art studio near you when the time is right to get the ball rolling on your next project. Local appraisers, dealers, and framing shops will also be topics we discuss as the post goes on.
You may also want to read our posts on art in San Francisco or San Jose since both are so close by.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Oakland
If you want to check out the best art galleries and museums in Oakland you can head to:
- Oakland Museum of California at 1000 Oak St
- Mills College Art Museum at 5000 MacArthur Blvd
- Betti Ono Gallery at 1427 Broadway
- Studios 11 at 560 2nd St
- Part 2 Gallery at 1523 Webster St
- Johansson Projects at 2300 Telegraph Ave
- Vessel Gallery at 490 Lake Park Ave #10022
- Creative Growth at 355 24th St
- Joyce Gordon Gallery at 406 14th St
- Aggregate Space Gallery at 1255 26th St
- Berkeley Art Museum & Pacific Film Archive at 2155 Center St, Berkeley
- Berkeley Art Center at 1275 Walnut St, Berkeley
- Acci Gallery at 1652 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley
- Kala Art Gallery at 2990 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley
- 4th Street Fine Art at 2000 4th St, Berkeley
- Studio 23 at 2309 Encinal Ave, Alameda
- 3 Dot Art Gallery at 2309A Encinal Ave, Alameda
- Inkblot Gallery at 933b Central Ave, Alameda
- Autobody Fine Art at 1517 Park St, Alameda
The collection at the Oakland Museum of California has over 70,000 unique works including pieces from artists like Dorothea Lange, Richard Diebenkorn, Albert Bierstadt, Edward Weston, and Hung Liu. They also host the very popular Friday Night at OMCA events that we are sure many of you would enjoy.
Everyone can enter the Mills College Art Museum for free to check out their growing collection of other 12,000 items. They display the newest pieces by many local Northern California artists like William Wendt, Maynard Dixon, Joseph Raphael, and Anne Bremer.
Not only can you check out some cool stuff at Studios 11 but they also sell originals and prints plus rent our studio space. Another place where you can go to buy art is Vessel Gallery who rents it out too.
Vessell also provides curatorial services, acquisition commissions, and installations. Creative Growth is one of the largest art centers for people with disabilities in the country. They will provide supplies, studio space, and even gallery space to people with disabilities.
There are well over 20,000 items in the collection at Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive. They team up to present over 20 exhibitions and hundreds of film programs annually. You can also check out their workshops, performances, and lectures.
Every other year the Berkeley Art Center presents the Young Artists Biennial which is an exhibition of works created by students in elementary and middle school. Oh ya, the BAC is always free to enter.
Acci Gallery sells art, puts on lectures and workshops, and hosts other events like concerts and performances. The Kala Art Gallery can offer local, national, and international artists a leg up thanks to their Kala Fellowship Award.
Kala Gallery also hosts auctions, sells art, rents out studio space and has instructors who give classes to both kids and adults. 4th Street Fine Art has workshops, classes, and studio space available.
You may have heard of the Blacklight Art Show that takes place each October, well it is hosted by Studio 23. Those who need more options for workshops, classes, and studio space can contact Autobody Fine Art.
Materials & Supplies Near You
These art stores near you should have all of the materials and supplies you desire:
- Flax Art & Design at 1501 Martin Luther King Jr Way
- 14th Street Supply at 4442 International Blvd
- Bay Area Stretcher Bars at 1234 International Blvd
- The East Bay Depot at 4695 Telegraph Ave
- Blick Art Materials at 5301 Broadway
- Artist & Craftsman Supply at 2573 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley
- Blick Art Materials at 1360 10th St, Berkeley
- The Recrafting Co at 2449 Santa Clara Ave, Alameda
- Dollar Tree at 2317 Blanding Ave #A, Alameda
You should find all of the materials and supplies you need at Flax Art & Design plus they event rent out easels. There will be all kinds of items at 14th Street Supply but their specialty lies in street art and graffiti.
The East Bay Depot and The Recrafting Co are your source for recycled art and crafting materials, supplies and tools. Blick Art Materials and Artist & Craftsman Supply are chain stores you probably already know about. Dollar Tree is a decent spot to buy cheap art supplies in your area.
Shows & Events
Some of the best art shows and events held in town are:
- Berkley Art Bash in June
- Art + Soul Festival in July
- Fire Arts Festival in July
- Berkley Street Art Fest in July
- Autumn Lights Festival in October
- Blacklight Art Show in October
- Friday Nights at OMCA
Every June Twelve Mile Road gets filled to the brim when The Berkley Art Bash goes down. Expect to find live music, food trucks, activities for kids, and hundreds of artists showing off their latest works and entertaining the crowd.
At the Art + Soul Festival there will be live music, dance, hands-on activities, live art demonstrations and more each July. Get a little mix of heat and creativity when watching the open-air exhibits at the Fire Arts Festival which is also held in July.
Coolidge Highway between Catalpa and Wiltshire is where you will need to head for the Berkley Street Art Fest which is the thirst straight July festival we have mentioned. One of the highlights of this great event is all the colorful street chalk art near you and the prizes that are given to the best creators.
Over 10,000 people generally gather in the Gardens at Lake Merritt for the free Autumn Lights Festival every October. Earlier we mentioned how Studio 23 hosts the Blacklight Art Show every October, and every week you can go to Friday Nights at the OMCA at Oak Street Plaza.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
When you want to find some new unique pieces to add to your collection or figure out the true value of something visit art dealers and appraisers like:
- Masterworks Fine Art Gallery at 13470 Campus Dr
- Slate Art Llc at 473 25th St
- Britta Campbell Art Consultant at 6357 Westover Dr
- Mgh Discovered Art at 1406 Park St #400, Alameda
Masterworks Fine Art Gallery provides free assistance with appraisals and secondary market sales. They buy and sell work from masters like Picasso, Warhol, Chagall, and Miro among others.
In addition to being a great consultant Slate Art also offers services like appraisals, restorations, conservations, framing, installations, and insurance. Britta Campbell Art Consultant specializes in collection management, acquisitions, custom framing, and appraisals.
Studios 11, Vessel Gallery, Acci Gallery, Kala Art Gallery from our first list also sell art in your area.
Art walking tours can be a lot of fun when the weather is nice:
- Oakland Art Murmur at 490 Lake Park Ave
- Temescal Public Art Walking Tour at 490 43rd St
There are both public and private tours available from Oakland Art Murmur that focus on the cities great Arts Districts. They also have an app you can download to take a self-guided tour if you prefer to go that route.
The 2 hour journeys with Temescal Public Art Walking Tour begin at Beauty’s Bagel Shop and stop at Telegraph on 51st Street.
Sculptures & Statues
You might enjoy taking photos of these statues and sculptures:
- There! Statue at Center Walk
- Remember Them at 19th St & Rashida Muhammad Path
- Vitality at 334 Frank H Ogawa Plaza
- Guardian Sculpture at Seawall Dr University Ave, Berkeley
- Gardensia at 2820 Eighth St, Berkeley
The There! Statue can be found at City Center Plaza where it has been since 1988 after being sculpted by Roselyn Mazzilli. Mario Chiodo unveiled his Remember Them sculpture back in 2013 in Henry J. Kaiser Memorial Park.
Frank Ogawa Plaza is the home to Vitality by Bruce Beasley. Fredric Fierstein was the mastermind behind the Guardian Sculpture which sits at Shorebird Park Nature Center.
Oakland Art Classes
You might be interested in private lessons or group classes for kids, teens, or adults but either way the best art schools in Oakland would be:
- California College of the Arts at 5212 Broadway
- Oakland School For the Arts at 530 18th St
- Golden Gate Atelier at 4432 Piedmont Ave
- The Atelier School of Classical Realism at 4920 Telegraph Ave
- Wine & Design at 204 Broadway
- Castle In the Air at 1801B 4th St, Berkeley
- Pacific Art Academy at 2808 9th St, Berkeley
- Alameda Art Lab at 1910A Encinal Ave, Alameda
- Studio 1.6 at 1509 1/2 Webster St, Alameda
There are 22 undergraduate and 11 graduate programs available at California College of the Arts. There are over 750 students that attend Oakland School For the Arts which is a non-profit public charter school for kids in grades 6 to 12.
The instructors at Golden Gate Atelier focus on providing traditional painting and drawing classes for adults. The Atelier School of Classical Realism has old master drawing and painting classes from Tuesday through Thursday in the afternoons and evenings. They also do life drawing workshops on Sundays and Mondays.
Wine & Design provides paint and sip parties for all ages including girls nights out, birthday parties, and corporate events. Every Wednesday Castle In the Air provides free classes for everyone.
There are classes and workshops for adults available at Alameda Art Lab plus they have after-school lessons and summer camps for kids. At Studio 1.6 you will find life drawing sessions, camps, workshops, open studio time and even help with portfolio preparation.
Kala Art Gallery and Autobody Fine Art from our best galleries near you list also have classes.
Studios For Rent Near You
You might be able to rent art studio space in your area at:
- Norton Factory Studios at 3094 E 10th St
- Faultline Artspace 850 42nd Ave #2D
- The Crucible at 1260 7th St
- Blank Page Studio at 1468 MacArthur Blvd
- Artthaus Studios at 2744 E 11th St
- Makers WorkSpace at 1150 6th St, Berkeley
- Phoenix at 2315 Lincoln Ave, Alameda
Studios 11, Kala Art Gallery, 4th Street Fine Art and Autobody Fine Art are other places we have listed throughout the post that also rent out studio space.
When you need art framing in Oakland head to:
- Creative Framing & Gallery at 2700 Park Blvd
- Galleria Scola Picture Framing at 3646 Grand Ave
- Art Loft Framing at 2082 Antioch Ct
- Panorama Framing at 3350 Grand Ave
- The Great Frame Up at 5427 Telegraph Ave
- North Berkeley Frame at 1744 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley
- Framer’s Workshop at 2439 Channing Way, Berkeley
- Aaron Brothers at 2650 Fifth St #10, Alameda
Some of the services at Galleria Scola Picture Framing include consultations, deliveries, installations, and restorations. You can get same day framing from The Great Frame Up plus they do all kinds of custom digital imaging services like restorations, photo-to-art processes, and custom prints.
Framer’s Workshop can provide custom or do it yourself framing solutions in addition to photo restorations and large format printing services. Slate Art and Britta Campbell Art Consultant from the dealers list also do framing.
We have also written posts on some smaller towns in the region like Stockton, Sacramento, and Fresno if you are interested.
Have Fun Enjoying The Oakland Art Scene
At the moment that is all we know about the local art scene near you. We listed the best galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers that you may want to check out.
If you made it this far you might just know quite a bit about art in your area too. Feel free to share your own tips, or to let us know if we may have gotten anything wrong in the comments.
We hope you enjoy your time at the best Oakland Art Galleries, Museums, Supply Stores or doing whatever it else you plan to do with the info.