Anyone that wants to learn about art in Cleveland has definitely found the right blog and our first section will fully cover the best art galleries and museums near you.
After that we will get into a variety of other topics like art supply stores, events, festivals, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, local sculptures and statues, art classes, studios for rent, and the top frame shops in your area.
You can jump straight to any section that interests you most by using the table of contents on the left and we are also including a Cleveland art map with all of the spots we mention throughout the post pinned on it.
You can look through more of our posts on cities in the region here.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Cleveland
The best art galleries and museums in Cleveland would be:
- Cleveland Museum Of Art at 11150 E Blvd
- 78th Street Studios at 1300 W 78th St
- Bonfoey Gallery at 1710 Euclid Ave
- The Galleries at CSU at 1307 Euclid Ave
- Contessa Gallery at 24667 Cedar Rd
- Museum of Contemporary Art at 11400 Euclid Ave
- Artneo at 1305 W 80th St
- Transformer Station at 1460 West 29th St
- Spaces at 2900 Detroit Ave
- Harris Stanton Gallery at 1370 W 9th St
- Elyria Arts Council at 336 Broad St, Elyria
- Beth K Stocker Art Gallery at 1005 N Abbe Rd, Elyria
Many would consider The Cleveland Museum Of Art to be one of the best in the country and you can check out what they have to offer starting at 10am throughout the week except on Monday when the doors never open. They have public education programs for all ages and skill levels and you might also be interested in their Engage and Create Program as well as their very popular annual Summer Solstice Event.
The largest art and design complex in Northeast Ohio is 78th Street Studios and starting at 5pm on every Third Friday they have special events with visual exhibits, music, good food, and pop-up vendors plus creators can rent one of their on-site art studios.
At The Bonfoey Gallery you can get custom framing, art installation services, consultations, appraisals, restorations, and more from 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday and from 9am to 1pm on Saturday.
You will see more than two thousand pieces at the Museum of Contemporary Art when they are open from 11am to 5pm Thursday through Sunday including works by vanguard artists like Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol.
Spaces has great artist grant programs near you.
Elyria Arts Works is part of the Elyria Arts Council and they provide a variety of classes taught by their member artists in addition to after school programs.
Beth K Stocker Art Gallery is located at Lorain County Community College and you can see thousands of unique pieces by local artists at their Scholastic Art Exhibit which is open from 10:30am to 2:30pm Monday through Friday.
Materials & Supplies Near You
The best stores to buy art supplies and materials in your area are:
- Cleveland Art Supply at 3663 Carniege Ave
- Atlas Brush Company at 480 S Green Rd
- Gary Burlin & Co at 3663 Carnegie Ave
- Blick Art Materials at 2768 Mayfield Rd
- Dollar Tree at 3379 Steelyard Dr
- Michaels at 35840 Detroit Rd, Avon
- Joann Fabrics & Crafts at 380 Market Dr, Elyria
There are over fifteen thousand items available at the Gary Burlin & Co warehouse.
Somewhere like Dollar Tree is a good place to buy cheap art supplies near you.
Shows & Events
Some of the best art shows and events held in this city throughout the year are:
- Annual Art in the Village & Craft Marketplace in June
- Annual Flats Festival of the Arts in August
- Waterloo Arts Fest in August
- The Cain Park Arts Festival in July
- Summer Solstice in June
- 78th Street Studios Third Friday
Legacy Village is where you will find the Annual Art in the Village with Craft Marketplace each June. Expect there to be over a hundred artists displaying their newest works in a variety of mediums like paintings, jewelry, photography, sculptures, ceramics, and much more.
Every August you can head to the Annual Flats Festival of the Arts where a variety of local, regional, and national artists will be displaying and selling their newest pieces.
The Waterloo Arts Fest takes place on the last Saturday of August each year.
The Cain Park Arts Festival is a juried fine arts and crafts event that draws in talent from all over the US.
Earlier we mentioned the Summer Solstice events that are hosted by the Cleveland Museum of Art each June that area can’t miss.
Plus we told you about those Third Friday Events at 78th Street Studios starting at 5pm.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
Sometimes you might want to add a new piece to your collection or learn the true value of something and if so you can go to one of these local art dealers and appraisers:
You can get in-home consultation or custom painting, framing, drawing, and more at The Paul Duda Gallery.
The Hedge Gallery specializes in curating incredible artwork into new spaces like offices, hotels, and homes plus they are good for delivery and installation.
You can get consultation, installation, and appraisals for residences or office spaces at Harris Stanton Gallery.
For more consultations and appraisals you can also try Corcoran Fine Arts.
The Bonfoey Gallery from our main list also offers art consultation and appraisal service in your area.
Art walking tours can be a lot of fun when the weather is nice:
Waterloo Arts is in the North Shore Collinwood neighborhood and you can walk all over Waterloo which is a stimulating arts environment.
Land Studio will take you past some of the coolest public art Cleveland has to offer.
Sculptures & Statues
There are some really nice sculptures and statues in your area like:
- The Sculpture Center at 1834 E 123rd St
- Moses Cleaveland Statue at Public Square
- Fountain Of Eternal Life at 120 Public Sq
- Johnny Kilbane Sculpture at W 75th & St Father Frascati Blvd
- Judy’s Hand at 11400 Euclid Ave
The Sculpture Center has really helped a lot of local and regional artists realize their dreams.
James C. Hamilton created the Moses Cleaveland Statue back in the 1880’s and it still sites in Public Square today.
Some locals may refer to the Fountain Of Eternal Life as Peace Arising from the Flames of War or The War Memorial Fountain.
The Johnny Kilbane Sculpture was dedicated back in 2014 by Rowan Gillespie and it can be found in the Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood, more specifically in the Battery Park Development.
Tony Tasset created Judy’s Hand which sits in Toby’s Plaza.
Cleveland Art Classes
You might be searching for private lessons or group classes for kids, teens, or adults and either way the best Cleveland art schools are:
- Art House Inc at 3119 Denison Ave
- Cleveland Institute of Art at 11610 Euclid Ave
- Cleveland School of the Arts at 2064 Stearns Rd
- Superior Hot Glass at 1588 E 40th St
The Family Open Studio free monthly workshops at Art House Inc are a great way to get your kids more into art while they also have other workshops, after school programs, and host private parties.
Since the 1880’s the Cleveland Institute of Art has been one of the nation’s leading accredited independent colleges of art and design and they offer plenty of art courses for middle school and high school students.
You can try day, night, or weekend classes at Superior Hot Glass.
The Cleveland Museum Of Art and Elyria Arts Works from our best art museums and galleries in your area list also offer lessons.
Studios For Rent Near You
If you want to rent a local art studio try out:
- Hildebrandt Provisions Co at 3619 Walton Ave
- Lake Affect Studios at 1615 E 25th St
- Building 31 at 3615 Superior Ave
- Twist Drill Cleveland at 4700 Lakeside Ave
- Artful Cleveland at 2843 Washington Blvd
78th Street Studios from our main list is another place where you can rent an art studio near you.
Some of the top Cleveland art framing services would be:
- Art Etc Picture Framing at 2144 Murray Hill Rd
- 4 Corners Custom Framing at 825 East 185th St
- Walken Frame and Art at 1300 W 78th St
- Arko Picture Framing at 2062 Murray Hill Rd
- Art Forum at 17798 Detroit Ave
- Fundak’s Art Corner at 436 Cleveland St, Elyria
You may like knowing that there is a PPFA Certified Picture Framer on staff at Art Etcetera Picture Framing.
For professional installation or restoration services and free in-home consultations contact the Art Forum.
The Bonfoey Gallery and The Paul Duda Gallery from our previous lists also do framing.
Some of you may want to check out our posts on:
- Akron Art Museums & Materials
- Pittsburgh Art Museums & Materials
- Columbus Art Museums & Materials
- Detroit Art Museums & Materials
Have Fun Enjoying The Cleveland Art Scene
The full art scene near you was just covered in a pretty detailed manner. We listed the best local galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers that you may want to check out.
Those who are still reading this probably love the art in your area as much as we do. If so go ahead and use the comments to share your own tips or to let us know if you noticed that we got anything wrong.
We hope you enjoy your time at the best Cleveland art galleries, museums, supply stores, or doing whatever else you plan to do with the info.