Hello and thanks for checking out our blog about all things art in Dallas & Ft Worth. Galleries, museums, supplies, schools, shows, events and more will all be broken down in detail on this page.
Jumping right into the best Dallas & Ft Worth Art Galleries and Museums where you can see some of the finest exhibitions and collections your area has to offer seems like the only way to begin. After that we will discuss where you can find all of the best art supply stores near you.
Events, shows, and festivals that are held throughout the year will be the topic of our next section. Local art walking tours and beautiful statues and sculptures around the city can be a great way to get some sun and culture at the same time.
Art classes and lessons in your area will definitely get a shout out and there are classes for both kids and adults that are available. Some of you may want to skip the lessons and be ready to start your next project right now so art studios for rent near you will get a mention.
Then we will end this all by mentioning the best shops for framing around town. We certainly have plenty to get to so might as well get started, but we did want to share this link to a big list of other city guides we have made for this region of the country.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Dallas & Ft Worth
If you want to check out the best art galleries and museums in Dallas you can head to:
- Dallas Museum Of Art at 1717 N Harwood St
- Valley House Gallery at 6616 Spring Valley Rd
- Dallas Contemporary at 161 Glass St
- Talley Dunn Gallery at 5020 Tracy St
- Conduit Gallery at 1626 Hi Line Dr
- PDNB Gallery at 154 Glass St #104
- David Dike Fine Art at 2613 Fairmount St
- Barry Whistler Gallery at 315 Cole St #120
- Museum of Biblical Art at 7500 Park Ln
- The Warehouse Dallas at 14105 Inwood Rd
- Kimbell Art Museum at 3333 Camp Bowie Blvd, Ft Worth
- Fenton Fine Arts at 223 La Jolla Cove, Ft Worth
- Modern Art Museum of Ft Worth at 3200 Darnell St, Ft Worth
- William Campbell Contemporary Art at 4935 Byers Ave, Ft Worth
- Sid Richardson Museum at 309 Main St, Ft Worth
- Amon Carter Museum of American Art at 3501 Camp Bowie Blvd, Ft Worth
- Arlington Museum Of Art at 201 W Main St, Arlington
- Sparks Studio Art at 509 W Main St, Arlington
- Upstairs Gallery at 1038 W Abram St, Arlington
The Dallas Museum of Art (DMA) is one of the country’s ten largest art museums and has over 24,000 items spanning 5,000 years of history. General admission to the museums is free and they also offer art classes and workshops for people of all ages, as well as a varied range of programming including seminars and concerts.
The Dallas Contemporary is also always free to enter and provides free learning programs like monthly classes, lectures and much more. PDNB Gallery offers curatorial services as well as appraisal services to those who need help with their collections. The museum is free to enter.
David Dike Fine Art specializes in 19th and 20th century American and European paintings. They hold auctions and provide collection management, fine art appraisals, and collection cataloging services.
The Museum of Biblical Art features important exhibitions by prominent artists including Andy Warhol, Barbara Hines, Alexander McQueen Duncan, Jorge Cocco Santangelo, and others. The Warehouse contains a collection of around 800 works of modern art and admission is free.
The permanent collection of the Kimbell Art Museum is not the biggest with only 350 works but includes notable pieces by Duccio, Fra Angelico, Caravaggio, Poussin, Velázquez, Bernini, Rembrandt, Goya, Monet, Cézanne, Picasso, Mondrian, and Matisse. The Kimbell Art Museum’s collection is always open to the public for free.
Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth is Texas’s oldest museum dating back to 1892 and has a permanent collection of more than 3,000 works by famous creators like Pablo Picasso, Philip Guston, Kehinde Wiley, and others. They provide lectures by prominent artists, kids and adult classes, camps, and workshops.
The Sid Richardson Museum contains permanent and special exhibitions of paintings by Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell, two of the most renowned Western artists. Upstairs Gallery offers art classes and they also do framing.
Materials & Supplies Near You
The best stores to buy art supplies and materials near you are:
- Asel Art Supply Inc at 2701 Cedar Springs Rd
- Rock Barrell at 13650 T I Blvd
- Oil and Cotton at 817 W Davis St
- Michaels at 5500 Greenville Ave #700
- American Ceramic Supply Co at 2442 Ludelle St, Ft Worth
- Asel Art Supply at 825 Foch St, Ft Worth
- Michaels at 359 Carroll St, Ft Worth
- Asel Art Supply at 618 W Park Row Dr C, Arlington
- Michaels at 1108 W Arbrook Blvd, Arlington
Asel Art Supply has grown from a single local store to six retail locations across Texas since its founding in 1951. They sell supplies ranging from student to professional levels.
Apart from selling supplies, Oil and Cotton also provides art classes and workshops for people of all ages. American Ceramic Supply Co has been providing a complete array of ceramic equipment and pottery materials for 45 years.
You probably already know what the Michael’s near you have to offer.
Shows & Events
There are some great local art shows, festivals, and events held here like:
- Dallas Young Artist Exhibition in January
- Main Street Ft Worth Arts Festival in April
- Deep Ellum Arts Festival in September
- Dallas Art Fair in November
Over $10,000 in scholarships are presented to eight student artists at the Dallas Young Artist Exhibition which is hosted by Blue Print Gallery every January and showcases the best works created by high school students.
The Main Street Fort Worth Arts Festival is one of the Southwest’s largest and highest rated arts festivals showcasing over 500 painters, sculptors, dancers, performance artists, musicians, exhibitors, and food vendors on the streets of downtown Fort Worth, stretching nine blocks from the Tarrant County Courthouse to the Convention Center.
Deep Ellum Arts Festival is a free three-day event held every September. Seven blocks of Main Street in the Deep Ellum entertainment district will be converted into one massive street festival featuring 200 top-notch decorative and visual artists plus 100 original bands and musicians.
The Dallas Art Fair takes place in November at the Fashion Industry Gallery in the heart of the local downtown arts district. Leading national and international galleries exhibit modern and contemporary works during the fair.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
If you want to buy a new piece for your collection or when you want to find out the true value of something you can go to art dealers and appraisers in your area like:
- Craighead Green Gallery at 1011 Dragon St
- Laura Rathe Fine Art at 1130 Dragon At #130
- Samuel Lynne Galleries at 1105 Dragon St
- Blue Print Gallery at 2701 Fairmount St
- Dallas Art & Design at 3617 Fairmount St
Craighead Green Gallery represents over forty mid-career artists and focuses on contemporary paintings, archival pigment prints, and sculpture. They offer a variety of services including consultation for private collectors and corporations, art installation, and framing.
Laura Rathe Fine Art provides advising and consultancy services to both private and public clients. On request they may give numerous alternatives and suggestions based on gallery consultation, site visits, and trial deliveries.
The artwork at Blue Print Gallery ranges from modern abstract paintings and works on paper to photography and sculptures. Every January they host the Dallas Young Artist Exhibition which features the greatest high school art students in the DFW Metroplex where eight students will be receiving $10,000 in scholarships.
Collection acquisition, professional installation, and custom framing are some of the specialties at Dallas Art & Design. Valley House Gallery, PDNB Gallery, Barry Whistler Gallery, and Fenton Fine Arts from the best museums and galleries near you list also sell art and provide appraisal services.
When you get some nice weather be sure to enjoy it and walking around these areas will insure that you do:
- Dallas Art District at 50 North St Paul St #115
- Cultural District Walking Tour at 3501 Camp Bowie Blvd, Ft Worth
- Downtown Arlington at 500 E Front St #140, Arlington
Technically the Dallas Art District is not a walking tour, but with so many art galleries, museums, and public installations there is no better place in the city to walk around if you want to see cool stuff.
Authentic Fort Worth Tours hosts a Cultural District Walking Tour that focuses on three world-class museums in the area which are The Amon Carter, The Kimbell, and The Modern. Downtown Arlington features a thriving arts and music culture scene as well as public art and galleries to enjoy while wandering through the neighborhood.
Sculptures & Statues
There are some really nice sculptures and statues around the DFW metro area like:
- Nasher Sculpture Center at 2001 Flora St
- Sweet Pass Sculpture Park at 402 Fabrication St
- Pioneer Plaza at 1428 Young St
- Teddy Bear Statues at 4585-4657 Lakeside Dr
- Ring of Thanks at Bryan St
- United We Stand at 1101 12th Ave, Ft Worth
The Nasher Sculpture Center has been open since 2003 and is located in the center of the local Arts District. It houses one of the world’s best collections of modern and contemporary sculptures.
Sweet Pass is a contemporary sculpture park that opened in 2018 on a one-acre area in the western side of town. Pioneer Plaza was dedicated to the city by the Texas Trees Foundation in 1994. The Park includes native plants and trees in a natural environment, as well as a bronze re-creation of a cattle drive with three cowboys on horses driving longhorn steers.
The Teddy Bear Statues can be found in Lakeside Park. Thanks-Giving Square is home to the Ring of Thanks and on May 25th, 2014 the 14-foot-high gold and aluminum sculpture was completed.
United We Stand, a public sculpture by Eric McGehearty, was created in 2006 as a tribute to the Fort Worth Fire Department. It is located at the Municipal Building, outside of Fire Station #8.
Dallas Art Classes
Some of the best Dallas and Ft Worth art schools and classes for kids and adults can be found at:
- Dallas Arts Studio at 11441 N Stemmons Fwy
- Creative Arts Center of Dallas at 2360 Laughlin Dr
- The Art Institute of Dallas at 8080 Park Ln N #100
- Sofia Art Academy at 14856 Preston Rd #102
- J’s Art Studio at 17630 Davenport Rd #102
- Studio Sabka at 3411 W 7th St, Ft Worth
- Art Smart Art School at 2225 W Park Row Dr, Arlington
- Paint Party Express at 6610 Forestview Dr, Arlington
Dallas Arts Studio offers art lessons to kids ranging in age from four to eighteen. They supply basic art equipment and materials, and classes are usually offered once a week. Adult instruction is also available by request.
The Creative Arts Center offers weekly studio sessions in a variety of visual arts disciplines, with over 500 classes and workshops offered each year. CAC has a lesson for you whether you are a beginner, developing creator, or practicing with an interest in classic fine art, contemporary style, or fine craft. There are a limited number of class and workshop fee scholarships available for each session.
The Art Institute offers eight academic programs, those who qualify can get financial aid, and Saturday sessions are available all year. Sofia Art Academy teaches art classes to children and adults beginning at the age of five, as well as semi-private and private classes and a tailored program that meets your needs.
J’s Art Studio provides children’s art workshops, classes for adults, parties, summer camps, and winter camps in a range of media while teaching technical skills in acrylic, oil, and watercolor painting, drawing, clay and sculpture, sewing, charcoal, and much more. Beginners as well as advanced students are welcome.
Art Smart Art School offers a variety of classes for children in a number of media. Their instructors also provide weekly after-school programs, Saturday sessions, and summer camps.
Paint Party Express will bring the entire party to you no matter where you might be. Tables, chairs, easels, aprons, and paintbrushes will be provided.
Dallas Museum of Art, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Sparks Studio Art and Upstairs Gallery from our first list also offer art classes, as does Oil and Cotton from the supply stores list.
Studios For Rent Near You
When you can’t wait to get that next project started rent some space at one of these Dallas & Ft Worth art studios:
- Sunset Art Studios at 1811 Balboa Pl #106
- Goldmark Cultural Center at 13999 Goldmark Dr
- The Mix Creative Space at 9125 Diceman Dr
- The Cedars Union at 1219 S Ervay St
A regular looking piece or picture can be taken to that next level with the right frame and some of the best places for local art framing are:
- The Framesmith at 18208 Preston Rd #D13
- Fast Frame Dallas at 3001 Knox St #105
- Wildman Art Framing at 1715 Market Center Blvd
- Frame Destination at 13539 Method St
- Art Frame Wholesale at 11425 Harry Hines Blvd
- Frame Up at 4919 Camp Bowie Blvd, Ft Worth
- Ken’s Custom Frames at 5925 Wedgwood Dr, Ft Worth
- House of Frames at 9725 South Fwy, Ft Worth
- Art Frame Factory at 4001 W Green Oaks Blvd #173, Arlington
- Lyn Arts at 400 N Bowen Rd #116, Arlington
- Aaron Brothers at 130 Lincoln Sq, Arlington
Aside from bespoke framing, The Framesmith offers a variety of services like canvas stretching, painting and frame restoration, and cleaning oil or acrylic paintings. Wildman Art Framing offers thousands of frames and mat options. They also handle bespoke mirrors, art restoration and frame repair, and canvas stretching.
Ken’s Custom Frames has been family owned and operated since 1969. They specialize in custom and ready-made frames in addition to repairs. Upstairs Gallery and Dallas Art & Design are also known to provide high quality framing in your area.
Anyone who is interested is welcome to read our posts on:
- Art & Creativity in Houston
- Art & Creativity in Austin
- Art & Creativity in San Antonio
- Art & Creativity in Oklahoma City
Have Fun Enjoying The Dallas & Ft Worth Art Scene
For the time being that is all we have to share about your local art scene. We listed the best galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers in your area that you may want to check out.
Those who are still reading this probably love art as much as we do. If so go ahead and use the comments to share your own tips or to let us know if you think we got anything wrong.
We hope you enjoy your time at the best Dallas & Ft Worth Art Galleries, Museums, Supply Stores or doing whatever it else you plan to do with the info.