Over the next few minutes we will be breaking down everything we know about art in San Antonio in full detail and our first section will fully cover the best art galleries and museums near you.
After that we will get into a variety of other topics like art supply stores, events, festivals, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, local sculptures and statues, art classes, studios for rent, and the top frame shops in your area.
You can jump straight to any section that interests you most by using the table of contents on the left and we are also including a San Antonio art map that stretches out to suburbs like New Braunfels with all of the spots we mention throughout the post pinned on it.
The Midwest is an area that we have written about often on our site.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In San Antonio
To see the best art galleries and museums in San Antonio visit:
- San Antonio Museum of Art at 200 W Jones Ave
- The Mcnay Art Museum at 6000 N New Braunfels Ave
- Briscoe Western Art Museum at 210 W Market St
- Ruby City at 150 Camp St
- Artpace San Antonio at 445 N Main Ave
- Blue Star Contemporary at 116 Blue Star
- Galería Guadalupe at 723 S Brazos St
- Presa House Gallery at 725 S Presa St
- Ruiz Healy Art at 201A E Olmos Dr
- Sala Diaz at 517 Stieren St
- The Art Cottage at 307 W San Antonio St, New Braunfels
- The Gallery at 2339 Gruene Lake Dr, New Braunfels
There are numerous programs available like workshops for kids, family art activities, lectures, concerts, films, and more starting at 10am Tuesday through Sunday at the San Antonio Museum of Art. One of the main events on their schedule is the local Touch-Free Art Crawl for kids which is usually held in February and they are also a great place to see art near you that spans over 5,000 years in their vast collection.
Speaking of a vast collection there are over 20,000 unique works at the McNay Art Museum which opens at 10am Wednesday through Saturday and noon on Sunday.
The Night of Artist Events at the Briscoe Western Art Museum in the spring raises a ton of money and is definitely a can’t miss. You might also want to check out their cool sculpture garden when the museum is open from 10am to 5pm Thursday through Monday.
Artspace is open from 10am to 5pm on weekdays and starting at noon on weekends and hosts the Chalk it Up Event each October plus they have popular summer camps for kids.
The first nonprofit venue for contemporary art in San Antonio was Blue Star and it is still going strong today opening at noon Wednesday through Friday and at 10am on weekends. Any high school student would be wise to try out their year round after school art education programs.
Materials & Supplies Near You
These art stores in your area should have all of the materials and supplies you need:
- Herweck’s at 300 Broadway
- Asel Art Supply at 1524 N Main St
- Roadrunner Ceramics at 12747 Cimarron Path #116
- The Paint Yard at 1854 Carolina St
- Jerry’s Artarama at 7059 San Pedro Ave
- Michaels at 17700 US 281 N #400
- Hobby Lobby at 360 Creekside Way, New Braunfels
- Joann at 671 I-35 S, #208, New Braunfels
A wide variety of high quality custom kits are available at Asel Art.
Any potters, sculptors, ceramicists, and clay artists will find all the supplies and materials they need at Roadrunner Ceramics who also offers free or paid classes and workshops plus they can handle your firing needs.
Shows & Events
Some of the best annual shows and events around the city are:
- Touch-Free Art Crawl
- Night of Artists
- Chalk it Up
- Annual Luminaria Contemporary Arts Festival
- Annual Starving Artist Art Show
We mentioned the Touch-Free Art Crawl at the San Antonio Museum of Art earlier which is held every February which is generally for toddlers under 24 months of age and their caregivers.
The Brisco Western Art Museums annual Night of Artists in March is a great place to look at and potentially buy hundreds of pieces of Western contemporary art from nearly a hundred leading contemporary artists.
Local artists come out for the Chalk it Up festival each October when they create incredible chalk murals around the downtown streets.
The Annual Luminaria Contemporary Arts Festival includes performances, light projections, and art installations by local, national, and international artists alike and you can check it out each November at Hemisfair.
La Villita Historic Arts Village presents the free to enter Annual Starving Artist Art Show each April where you can find all kinds of handmade art, jewelry, and unique specialty items.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
Sometimes you might want to add a new piece to your collection or learn the true value of something and if so you can go to one of these art dealers and appraisers in your area:
- San Antonio Artists Collective at 15900 La Cantera Pkwy #3380
- Nanette Richardson Fine Art Galleries at 555 East Basse Rd #105
- San Antonio Modern Art at 8418 Broadway St #201
- Parchman Stremmel Gallery at 7726 Broadway St
- The Online Art Factory at 140 Fredericksburg Rd
- Hildebrand Art Gallery at 735 W Hildebrand Ave
- Mill Street Art Gallery at 387 W Mill St, New Braunfels
You can get in-home or in-office consultation plus help with sales, consignments, and appraisal services at Nanette Richardson Fine Art Galleries.
If you need a specialist in acquisition, appraising, framing, or installation you can also contact the Parchman Stremmel Gallery.
There are consignment programs and art for lease at the Mill Street Gallery.
Art walking tours can be a lot of fun when the weather is nice:
The world famous San Antonio River Walk will take you past museums, theatres, and art schools near you to find find large art collections plus musical and theater performances.
There are over 25 shops and galleries in the La Villita Historic Arts Village and they are always hosting different kinds of events like the aforementioned Starving Artists Show.
Sculptures & Statues
Taking selfies with these sculptures and statues could also be enjoyable on a sunny day:
- The Torch of Friendship at 333 Losoya St
- World’s Largest Cowboy Boots at 60 NW Loop 410 #18
- Spineway at 1401 Cincinnati Ave
- The Founders Monument at 159 Dolorosa
The Torch of Friendship was unveiled downtown back in 2002.
You can find the World’s Largest Cowboy Boots on the south side of North Star Mall where it has been since 1980.
Mark Fornes created the Spineway Sculpture which sits at Woodlawn Lake Park.
Armando Garcia Hinojosa created The Founders Monument back in 2012 which is located in front of the courthouse.
San Antonio Art Classes
You might be searching for private lessons or group classes for kids, teens, or adults and either way the best San Antonio art schools are:
- Coppini Academy Of Fine Arts at 115 Melrose Pl
- A Painting We Van Gogh at 6750 Hwy 87 E #1
- Artworks Art Studio at 1840 Nacogdoches Rd
- Whimsy Art Studio at 2211 NW Military Hwy #116
- Henry Ford Academy Alameda School for Art Design at 501 W César E Chávez Blvd
- New Braunfels Art League at 239 W San Antonio St, New Braunfels
- Alla Prima Art Studio at 1386 Industrial St #100, New Braunfels
There are art classes for all ages, open studio time, and life drawing sessions that are open to the public at the Coppini Academy Of Fine Arts.
For a fun sip and paint studio try out A Painting We Van Gogh.
There will be everything from art classes for kids, home schooling options, after school programs, and camps available at Artworks Art Studio who also does team-building events for business and can host parties for adults.
Whimsy Art Studio also has lessons for kids and adults plus they host private parties.
Henry Ford Academy Alameda School for Art Design is a public high school for college prep in art in your area that is tuition-free.
For more summer camps for kids or classes and workshops in a wide variety of mediums check out the Alla Prima Art Studio.
Other venues we have mentioned in different sections that also provide local art classes are Blue Star Contemporary and Roadrunner Ceramics.
Studios For Rent Near You
When you want to begin your next project you can try renting an art studio in your area:
- Hausmann Millworks at 925 W Russell Pl
- East Side Art Studios at 2246 E Houston St
- Blue Star Arts Complex at 1414 S Alamo St
Some of the top San Antonio art framing services would be:
- The Frame Gallery at 5563 Dezavala Rd #190
- Affordable Picture Framing at 2540 Thousand Oaks Dr #101
- Barry Framing at 5951 Broadway St
- O’Shaughnessy Custom Framing at 1730 N Loop 1604 E #105
- Fast Frame at 24200 Interstate 10 #115
- Hunter Road Custom Framing at 3620 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels
There will be nearly 2,000 frame samples available at Affordable Picture Framing.
You can get on-site consultations, frame repairs, glass replacement, and even mirror framing at O’Shaughnessy Custom Framing.
Hunter Road Custom Framing specializes in picture printing services and has over 100 types of mats to choose from.
Other places we have mentioned throughout the post that do framing services are the Parchman Stremmel Gallery, Artarama, and Michaels.
By the way we have also discussed local art in:
Have Fun Enjoying The San Antonio Art Scene
Hopefully we did a decent job of covering the full art scene near you. We listed the best galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers in your area.
If you made it this far you might just know quite a bit about the local art scene yourself. It would be great if you could share your own tips, or let us know if we may have gotten anything wrong in the comments.
Have fun going to the galleries, museums, buying supplies or doing anything that has to do with art in San Antonio!