Hello and welcome to our post on all things art in Colorado Springs. Galleries, museums, supplies, schools, shows, events and more will all be broken down in depth right here.
We hope that this will be a one stop shop that is loaded with everything you may be interested in on the topic at hand. To start we will get right into the best Colorado Springs Art Galleries and Museums where you can see some of the finest exhibitions and collections the city has to offer.
After that we will discuss where you can find all of the best art supply stores near you. Events and shows where you can see all kinds of cool pieces will be the topic of our next section.
Art walking tours in your area plus the nicest statues and sculptures around the city can be fun to check out while getting some sun. Colorado Springs art classes and lessons will definitely get a shout out and there are classes for both kids and adults near you that are available.
Some of you may want to skip the lessons and be ready to start your next project right now so art studios for rent will be lsited. Then we will end this all by mentioning the best shops for framing around town.
You can check out more of our posts about art around the Midwest by clicking here.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Colorado Springs
If you want to check out the best art galleries and museums in Colorado Springs you can head to:
- Colorado Springs Fine Art Center at 30 W Dale St
- Arati Artists Gallery at 2425 W Colorado Ave
- Art Gallery of the Rockies at 5039 N Academy Blvd
- Broadmoor Galleries at 1 Lake Cir
- Galleries Extraordinaire at 1301 W Colorado Ave
- UCCS Galleries of Contemporary Art at 5225 N Nevada Ave
- Michael Garman Gallery at 2418 W Colorado Ave
- Gallery 113 at 125 1/2 N Tejon St
- Chavez Gallery at 2524 1/2 W Colorado Ave
- Anita Marie Fine Art at 109 S Corona St
The Colorado Springs Fine Art Center has been one of the the main cultural attractions in town since the 1930’s. You can find over 20,000 objects in their vast collection and they have many different educational programs available.
They also have Museum Free Days once a month where anyone can enter free of charge. You will find a wide variety of unique styles at the Broadmoor Galleries.
You can also visit them when you are trying to sell a piece or need a consultant. Plus every weekend in July they have their major Broadmoor Art Experience event.
Those who like to enjoy art from numerous cultures around the world can do so at Galleries Extraordinaire. There are numerous lectures, public programs, and special events at the UCCS Galleries of Contemporary Art that are generally free to the public.
One of their more popular programs is the Visiting Artists & Critics Series. They are also a major participant in the First Friday Downtown events.
Those who loves sculptures can find hundreds of sculptures of famous people at the Michael Garman Gallery. Not only will you see fine art on display at the Anita Marie Fine Art Gallery but they also provide studio workshops and small group classes.
Materials & Supplies Near You
The best places to buy art supplies and materials in your area are:
- Academy Art & Frame Company at 7560 N Academy Blvd
- Meininger Art Material at 201 S Weber St
- Guiry’s at 3141 W Colorado Ave
- Full Spectrum Art Glass Supply & Gallery at 828 E Fillmore St
- Michaels at 2140 Southgate Rd
- Hobby Lobby at 6950 N Academy Blvd
If you want to check out some cool glass works or learn how to blow glass yourself head to Full Spectrum. You can even order your own custom glass pieces from them.
Shows & Events
These shows and events can be a lot of fun:
- Museum Free Days at Colorado Springs Fine Art Center
- The Broadmoor Art Experience
- First Friday Downtown
- Holiday Art & Gift Market at Cottonwood Center for the Arts
We mentioned the Museum Free Days before and they go down on the second Saturday and third Friday of each month at the Fine Art Center. We also mentioned the free Broadmoor Art Experience which is held each weekend in July.
You will generally find around 20 groups showing off a wide variety of types of artworks. You can even watch and learn as they create new works at the event.
Every first Friday of the month head downtown to see all kinds of unique pieces, listen to live music, and mingle with the crowd. On the last Saturday of each November head to the Cottonwood Center to see or buy new pieces from plenty of regional and local artists.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
Some of the best art dealers and appraisers near you to buy a new piece or find out the value of one you already own are:
- Kreuser Gallery at 125 E Boulder St
- 45 Degree Gallery at 2528 W Colorado Ave #B
- Artist Unknown Studios at 2518 W Colorado Ave
You can find lots of art from up and coming local artists at the Kreuser Gallery. There are over thirty artists from Colorado who provide works for the 45 Degree Gallery.
Walking around outside on a beautiful day and seeing some cool art in your area can be done at:
- Art On The Streets at 401 N Tejon
- First Friday Downtown at 121 S Tejon St # 111
- First Friday Old Colorado City at Colorado Ave around 23rd & 27th St
When Art On The Streets is going on the downtown area can feel like a massive outdoor sculpture gallery. There are tours on the first Saturday of the month starting at 10am at the Wild Goose Meeting House.
First Friday Downtown held from 5pm to 9pm and is free for everyone.
Sculptures & Statues
There are some really nice sculptures and statues near you like:
- Starr Kempf’s Kinetic Sculptures at 2057 Pine Grove Ave
- Recycled Rainbow at Swan Law 501 N Cascade Ave
- Rites of Spring at Cascade & Monument St
- The Great Pumpkin at intersection of Pueblo Ave
- General William Jackson Palmer at W Platte Ave and Nevada Ave
- Continuum The Julie Penrose Fountain at 126 Cimino Dr
Starr Kempf’s Kinetic Sculptures are located in the yard of his home but are visible from the street. The General William Jackson Palmer Statue was created in the late 1920’s by Nathan Dumont Potter.
Bill Burgess and David Barber created the Continuum Julie Penrose Fountain in America the Beautiful Park which is one of the largest sculpture fountains in the country.
Colorado Springs Art Classes
Whether you need lessons for kids or are an adult who wants to grow his skills you have a handful of good options. Some of the best Colorado Springs art schools and classes near you can be found at:
- Pikes Peak Artist Collective at 2708 C West Colorado Ave
- Cottonwood Center for the Arts at 427 E Colorado Ave
- Alvarez Art School at 218 W Colorado Ave
- Bemis School of Art at 818 Pelham Pl
- Kids Can Draw at 4775 Barnes Rd # D
You can find art classes for kids and adults at Pikes Peak Artist Collective. They have lessons in painting and pottery and even have classes for children with special needs.
There are private lessons or drop in classes in art and pottery at Cottonwood Center for the Arts. For oil painting or figure drawing lessons head to Alvarez Art School.
The Bemis School of Art is located at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center and they have big studios, experienced instructors, and generally small class sizes. There are both day and night classes available at Kids Can Draw.
Some other places we have listed that also have art classes near you are the Anita Marie Fine Art Gallery, Art111 Gallery & Art Supply and Full Spectrum Art Glass Supply & Gallery.
Studios For Rent Near You
If you need to rent an art studio in your area try out The Glass Grind. As the name suggests it is mostly a glass blowing studios.
The best places to go for art framing in Colorado Springs are:
- Budget Framer at 1718 Dublin Blvd
- Academy Art & Frame Company at 7560 N Academy Blvd
- Art & Frame Approach at 1010 W Colorado Ave
- Art Hardware at 119 E Costilla St
- Aaron Brothers at 7664 N Academy Blvd
As the name suggests Budget Framer looks to get your piece into a good frame for a fair price. They also specialize in conservation matting and shadow boxing.
You can find a wide variety of wood and metal frames at Academy Art & Frame Company. There are more than 3,000 varieties available at Art & Frame Approach plus they can do custom framing, handle preservation, and repairs.
45 Degree Gallery, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby are more places to find framing near you.
Just so you know we have also written about:
Have Fun Enjoying The Colorado Springs Art Scene
We wish we had more to share on the local art scene near you but for now that is all we’ve got. We listed the best galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers that you may want to check out.
Those who are still reading this probably love art as much as we do. If so go ahead and use the comments to share your own local tips or to let us know if you think we got anything wrong.
We hope you enjoy your time at the best Colorado Springs Art Galleries, Museums, Supply Stores or doing whatever it else you plan to do with the info.