Welcome to our post that will try to fill you in on everything about art in Vail, Aspen, and Breckenridge. Galleries, museums, supplies, schools, shows, events and more will all be covered thoroughly right here.
We will begin by diving into the best art galleries and museums in the Vail, Aspen, and Breckenridge area where you can see some of the finest exhibitions and collections the region has to offer.
Following that we will talk about where you can buy all of the supplies you need at some of the best art stores near you. Shows and events that are held annually or more frequently will be the topic of our next section.
- 1 Best Art Galleries & Museums In Vail, Aspen, & Breckenridge
- 2 Materials & Supplies Near You
- 3 Shows & Events
- 4 Art Dealers & Appraisers
- 5 Walking Tours
- 6 Sculptures & Statues
- 7 Vail, Aspen, & Breckenridge Art Classes
- 8 Studios For Rent Near You
- 9 Framing
- 10 Have Fun Enjoying The Vail, Aspen, & Breckenridge Art Scenes
Art walking tours in your area can be a great way to see a variety of styles in a short amount of time, plus we will mention where you can see some of the coolest sculptures and statues in these towns. Vail, Aspen, and Breckenridge art classes and lessons will need to get their own section and there are plenty of classes for both kids and adults that are available.
Art studios for rent near you will come next for those who are ready to start creating right now. Framing shops, dealers, and appraisers will also be how we wrap everything up.
We have written about quite a few cities around the Midwest which you can look through here.
Best Art Galleries & Museums In Vail, Aspen, & Breckenridge
If you want to visit the best art galleries and museums in Vail go to:
- Piece Art Gallery at 122 East Meadow Dr
- Galerie Zuger Vail at 141 E Meadow Dr
- Vail Village Arts at 122 E Meadow Dr
- John Richter Gallery at 225 Wall St
- Artful Sol Gallery at 183 Gore Creek Dr
- Gib Singleton Gallery at 1 Willow Bridge Rd
- Mountain Art Collective at 1310 Westhaven Dr
Glass would be the main thing on display at Piece Art Gallery. With that said there is also a nice selection of ceramics and bronze pieces to check out. You will see pieces made by artists from US, Europe, Australia, and plenty of locals from the region.
The John Richter Gallery has a limited and open edition collection of photography plus they can help you with installation or framing. A great contemporary abstract gallery is Artful Sol where you will find a wide variety of sculptures, paintings, and jewelry. In fact jewelry lovers will love this gallery.
There are classes in fine art, graffiti, photography and other mediums available at The Mountain Art Collective as they try to create a platform and community for local artists.
For Aspen Art Galleries and Museums try out:
- Aspen Art Museum at 637 E Hyman Ave
- Forre Fine Art at 520 E Hyman Ave
- Aspen Art Gallery at 427 E Hyman Ave
- Aspen Grove Fine Arts at 525 E Cooper Ave
- Baldwin Gallery at 209 S Galena St
- Casterline Goodman Gallery at 611 E Cooper Ave
- Galerie Maximillian at 602 E Cooper Ave
- Harvey Preston Gallery at 517 E Hopkins Ave
- The Omnibus Gallery at 410 E Hyman Ave
- Opera Gallery at 501 E Dean St
- Valley Fine Art at 213 S Mill St
In 2017 The Aspen Art Museum won the National Medal for Museum and Library Service. On-site they have open studios, summer workshops, and many educational programs for all ages.
Their Artcrush event each August is legendary, and they have other monthly events like Teen Council Meetings and Movies at the Museum. For over thirty five years collectors and enthusiasts have enjoyed the various fine works in various mediums at Aspen Grove Fine Arts.
The Baldwin Gallery focuses on emerging contemporary American artists. For some great post-war and contemporary artwork you can also head to Casterline Goodman Gallery.
On the other end of the spectrum Valley Fine Art specializes in early 19th and 20th Century American artworks and have a wide selection of Native American photography.
And last but not least you can find more art in Breckenridge at:
- Breckenridge Gallery at 124 S Main St
- Blue River Fine Art Gallery at 113 S Main St
- Gary Soles Gallery at 300 S Main St
- Jk Studio & Gallery at 100 S Main St
- The Nick Selway Gallery at 411 S Main St
- Fuqua Livery Stable at 111 Washington Ave
The Breckenridge Gallery was founded back in 1969 and their collection has a variety of works from the Western US including abstract, landscape, nature, western, wildlife, contemporary, and more. You can get consultations, shipping, and installation from Blue River Fine Art Gallery.
For a fine art photography gallery with tons of pictures of Colorado and the West head to The Gary Soles Gallery. They also provide commercial photography as well as custom framing.
Award Winning Nature Photographer Nick Selway started his own gallery and each October they run Landscape Photography Workshops.
Materials & Supplies Near You
These would be some of the best places to buy art supplies and materials in your area:
- Lionshead General Store at 610 W Lionshead Cir #2
- Walmart at 171 Yoder Ave, Avon
- Aspen Eclectic at 635 E Cooper Ave
- Sandy’s Office Supply at 630 E Hyman Ave
We all know Walmart and while it may not be an art supply store per se they certainly have a lot of stuff.
Shows & Events
Some of the best annual shows and events in your area would be:
- Vail Valley Fine Art Show in October
- Vail Arts Festival in June
- Art On The Rockies in July
- ArtCrush in August
- Art Aspen Fair in July
- Breckenridge Main Street Art Festival in August
- Breckenridge July Art Festival
- The Great Divide Art Festival in September
The Colorado Mountain College Campus in Edwards is where the Vail Valley Fine Art Show is held every October. Vail Valley Art Guild members, CMC Faculty and CMC art students present hundreds of their newest works and there will also be live jazz music going on.
Each July Freedom Park in Edwards is the location of Art on the Rockies. Free admission is available for all and there is a children’s art area, food, beverages, and a silent auction to benefit the Vail Valley Arts League.
The three-day Vail Arts Festival each June in the Lions Head Village and around Vail Square is a can’t miss. ArtCrush presented by Aspen Art Museum is a huge fundraising and social event that takes place each August.
This is where the Aspen Award for Art is presented. In August head to the corner of South Main Street and Park Avenue for the Breckenridge Main Street Art Festival.
Expect there to be live music, an art zone for kids, and community projects. Over 100 local, regional, and national artists in various mediums come together for the Breckenridge July Art Festival.
Sunshine Artist Magazine rated The Great Divide Art Festival 13th out of 200 different fine art shows around the country in 2017. Each September this great show goes down in the parking lot at Colorado Mountain College.
Art Dealers & Appraisers
If you want to add a new piece to your collection or find out how much a piece is worth you can go to art dealers and appraisers near you like:
- Raitman Art Gallery at 223 Gore Creek Dr
- Vail International Gallery at 100 E Meadow Dr
- Vail Fine Art Gallery Inc at 210 Edwards Village Blvd, Edwards
- Lik Fine Art Aspen at 406 E Hopkins Ave
- Royal Street Fine Art at 205 S Mill St # 211
- Vickers Collection at 525 E Cooper Ave
- Wandering Daisy at 326 S Main St
- Hot Shop at 123 S Ridge St
- Cain Creations at 500 South Main St
- Raitman Art Gallery at 100 N Main St
If you are after custom sculptures, digital art installations, and global shipping to private or corporate buyers check out Raitman Art Gallery. Lik Fine Art in Aspen provides fine art photography.
You will find custom airbrush artwork on any kind of surface specializing in custom goalie masks, all kinds of helmets, and pet portraits at Cain Creations. Piece Art Gallery, Galerie Zuger Vail, Casterline Goodman Gallery, and Opera Gallery from our first list also sell art.
If you are reading this on a sunny day why not go on an art walking tour at:
- Art in Public Places at 1309 Elkhorn Dr
- Art On The Rockies at 150 Miller Ranch Rd, Edwards
- Aspen Art Walk at S Mill St
- Breckenridge Arts District at 136 South Main St
- Ridge Street Arts Square at 117 E Washington Ave
You will see over fifty works like paintings, sculptures, murals, and more along Vail’s Art in Public Places. Every President’s Day Weekend you can see some of the newest works from the top galleries in the region at the Aspen Art Walk.
The First Fridays Art Walk in Carbondale shuts down to whole downtown area as the art (and party) takes over the streets. In the summer head to the Ridge Street Arts Square where there are festivals, concerts, and movie screenings.
The Breckenridge Arts District is a great place to walk around on a pleasant afternoon.
Sculptures & Statues
You can also find some really cool sculptures and statues around these towns like:
- Albert Einstein Statue at 172 Gore Creek Dr
- 10th Mountain Division Soldier Statue at East Meadow Dr
- Children’s Fountain at 223 E Gore Creek Dr #201
- Chrome on the Range at N Mill St
- El Conquistador at 120 N Mill St
- Breckenridge Troll Isak Heartstone at Boreas Pass Rd
- 10th Mountain Division Soldier Statue at Hwy 9
- Three Cowboys at 309 N Main St
- Tom’s Baby at 112 N Main St
- A Friend to Lean On at 226 S Main St
Gary Lee Price gave the Albert Einstein Statue to a shop in Vail and now it is one of the iconic pieces in town. Dennis Smith created the The Children’s Fountain in 1986 and it is part of the Art in Public Places program we mentioned earlier.
Rio Grande Park is home to the Chrome on the Range statue made by Louis Wille. Wille is a busy man as he also created El Conquistador.
Near the Trollstigen Trailhead you will find the Troll Isak Heartstone which was originally created for the Breckenridge International Festival of Arts. If you want to see the Three Cowboys statue head to the front of the Heritage Alliance Building.
After being created in the early 1990’s A Friend to Lean On was donated to the Breckenridge public art collection in 2013.
Vail, Aspen, & Breckenridge Art Classes
We are all at different levels and sometimes a lesson or two can give us the boost that we need. Some of the best Vail, Aspen, & Breckenridge art schools and classes can be found at:
- Alpine Arts Center at 280 Main St, Edwards
- Red Brick Center For the Arts at 110 E Hallam St #118
- Breckenridge Creative Arts at 150 W Adams Ave
- Breckenridge Glass Studio & School at 169 Continental Ct
You can find everything from corporate retreats to vacation camps for kids to art classes and studios for all ages at Alpine Arts Center. Red Brick Center For the Arts has paint and sip events or lessons as well as their Masterpiece Mine and watercolor classes for adult in the evenings from 5:30-7:30.
Their summer camps for kids are also known to be very good. Day and night classes or drop-in studio sessions are available at Breckenridge Creative Arts. The Mountain Art Collective and Aspen Art Museum from the best galleries and museums near you list also offer classes.
Studios For Rent Near You
When you are ready to start that next project rent an art studio near you at:
- Fuqua Livery Stable at 110 e Washington Ave, Breckenridge
- Ceramic Studio at 125 S Ridge St, Breckenridge
- Randall Barn at 114 e Washington Ave, Breckenridge
- Robert Whyte House at 127 S Ridge St, Breckenridge
Other places we have mentioned throughout this post that rent out studio space are Mountain Art Collectiv, Alpine Arts Center and Red Brick Center For the Arts.
A frame can take a normal looking picture a long way, and some of the best places for art framing in Vail, Aspen, & Breckenridge are:
- Mount N Frame at 953 S Frontage Rd
- The Avon Frame Shoppe at 281 Metcalf Rd, Avon
- Mobile Framer at 851 Sawatch Rd, Eagle
- Suitable For Framing at 105 S Monarch St
- Frame Center Inc at 305 E Aspen Airport Business Ct
- Main Street Gallery & The Framer at 399 Main St, Carbondale
- Studio Frame Shop at 1795 Airport Rd
- Breckenridge Photographics at 500 S Main St #1a
- Affordable Art & Framing at 573 Adams Ave c, Silverthorne
Mount N Frame are experts in conservation framing techniques and use fully reversible custom framing solutions if necessary. One of the longest running retail businesses in downtown Aspen is Suitable for Framing.
They will do on-site home or business consultations and can handle pickup, delivery, and installations. For custom framing, restorations, mats, or glazing head to Frame Center.
Canvas stretching, shadow boxing, and museum mounting are some of the specialties at Affordable Art & Framing. John Richter Gallery and Gary Soles Gallery from our main list also do framing.
You may also want to read about:
- Art Classes & Galleries in Denver
- Art Classes & Galleries in Colorado Springs
- Art Classes & Galleries in Boulder
- Art Classes & Galleries in Albuquerque
Have Fun Enjoying The Vail, Aspen, & Breckenridge Art Scenes
Well guys, we tried to cover the full art scene near you to the best of our abilities. We listed the best galleries, museums, events, shows, supply stores, dealers, appraisers, walking tours, sculptures, classes, studios, and framers in your area.
You can let us know about any of your own tips and tricks in the comments at the end of the post, or please also let us know if we got anything wrong or if anything we posted anything that is not true.
Have fun going to the galleries, museums, buying supplies or doing anything that has to do with art in Vail, Aspen, & Breckenridge!